265 Gallon Salt

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Glad to hear you havent lost anything. Keep up with the updates as to h2o quality, and how your machinery is running. A skimmer will go a long way towards making this thing sustainable.

thisissimple

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles
The Amquel is not a long term fix. it binds the ammonia, so it can be grabbed by mechanical and chemical filtration, but doesn't allow the system to adapt to such a large load. Continue to monitor this very carefully.

I have long said that canisters will work in SW. They just take a lot more maintenance than other types of filtration. So much so that they are often neglected and thus problems arise.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
thisissimple;4711326; said:
The Amquel is not a long term fix. it binds the ammonia, so it can be grabbed by mechanical and chemical filtration, but doesn't allow the system to adapt to such a large load. Continue to monitor this very carefully.

I have long said that canisters will work in SW. They just take a lot more maintenance than other types of filtration. So much so that they are often neglected and thus problems arise.
A 2nd this. It is just that a large majority of people won't clean them out frequently enough. It they are properly maintained they are good. The only thing I really don't like about them is the lack of oxygenation that you get from a sump setup.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
This isn't going to end well...

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Agreed...but you could run an airtube inline to the intake...and that would quickly fix that. Granted...it can cause problems with your filter as well though.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
spotfin;4713719; said:
This isn't going to end well...
Ha ha, This made me laugh, but we will wait and see...hopefully things do work out. :popcorn:

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Finally got the video uploaded. I need to get a valve for the skimmer so it's not running yet but should be tomorrow. I got a Berlin XL rated for a 400 gallon tank.

I used the Prime to help out with the Ammonia and once I ran out last week I havent used it since but I do have more if it happens to get out of hand which I dont see that happening but you never know. I got some more fish yesterday and today as well that arent in the video, you cant see the second zebra eel, fumanchu lionfish, or the lunar wrasse. Also didnt get around to reattaching the heater. When I get the skimmer running I will remove the bubble disks so there arent all those fine bubbles. Will also add the blue atnic bulbs.

The shark will be moved to another tank at the end of the month to live on his own so I can raise him.

Also still havent lost any fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Flu4i_nMA

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
is the tank that murkey or is it the glass? I think another water change is in order

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store