300 gallon SA/CE community build thread!!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Wow, all those controllers and a new tank. Nice job spwending the money on new quality gear/tank. Nicely done John.
Thanks! The aquacontroller was an interesting addition. I wasn't going to add one but I stumbled on an app for the iPhone that let's you control every aspect if your tank from your phone. Timers, fans, heaters, pumps, you name it. I can access all system parameters from my laptop and most from the phone. The thing actually will shoot me an email alerting me that its doing something to the system via programming that I set up to suit my needs.

I travel ALOT. And I mean really alot, like around 200-250 days a year I'm on the road. So being able to control from the other side of the world makes sense for me. If I were home all the time, I might have added it a year or so, but for my situation it only made sense to go ahead and do it altogether. I probably won't set he controller up for a bit though. I'm gonna work out all the kinks first, let it settle, then I'll add it. Probably going to eventually set up an auto water changer soon too. The aquacontroller can be set up to do it off a float switch. If I dan make it to where my wife does nothing but feed and watch, life is good...

Anyways, I have water and sand in it. Return side is done. Drain side has one small leak that I'm working on right now. Added more soundproofing on the inside of all the panels for the stand. So far, it's pretty damn quiet. I'll be posting lots if pics a little later on

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
P1030816.JPGP1030841.JPGP1030825.JPGP1030835.JPGP1030831.JPGP1030837.JPGUpdates galore. Wow. Alot has happened in the past few days. These picks show the tank in position and some detailed shots of the plumbing. Returns are 1" and run back up through the overflow boxes. The drains with the street 90's and red gates are the main drains. Herbie style 1 1/2" lines connecting to a 2" tee, then flowing through a 2" pvc gate. Valve is clear so you can actually see just how throttled back you are. After the gate the line splits again into another tee running to the filter socks.

The emergency drains are the lines in the middle. Nothing fancy here. Just a ball valve on each and each standpipe reaches almost to the teeth of the overflow box. I did run one about 1" shorter than the other so they would be staggered. Each line can handle the entire flow of the sump by itself, to technically I have a backup for my backup. Emergency lines have open standpipe and the main drains have strainers.

All in all, pretty uneventful. 1 small leak on the left side that took an hour or so to fix and thats it.......

P1030816.JPG

P1030841.JPG

P1030825.JPG

P1030835.JPG

P1030831.JPG

P1030837.JPG

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Heres some shots showing stand assembled , koralias in place and 2 lighting looks. I actually have three different lighting settings that ill post up a little later when the lunars kick on. Theres one that will simulate dusk and dawn, another for full daylight and the last is full lunar. Eventually, they will be on dimmers so all looks will fade in and out with no sudden lights on or off.

The stand has three black acrylic panels that attach with velcro. Makes is really easy to work around the sump being designed this way. Wish all my tanks had access this easy....

P1030847.JPG

P1030845.JPG

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Cute kid, tank looks great John! Congrats getting it wet. Any closeup pics of the skin for the stand? I would love to see it/do it myself one day.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Some wood and fish!!

Scape will probably change a bit over the next few days. I kinda like the look to be random as opposed to being placed. As random as i tried to make it, some still looks placed. Plus the fish will probably decortate to their liking after a few days.

P1030910.JPG

P1030902.JPG

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Cute kid, tank looks great John! Congrats getting it wet. Any closeup pics of the skin for the stand? I would love to see it/do it myself one day.
Thanks man! Its funny. the tank is mine, but all the fish are hers. They all have names too (except for the silver dollars) lol

Yeah, my camera battery is charging up now, but ill definately get some close ups of the skin. Its actually a very simple, but brilliant design. Chris at Midwest Customs knows his acrylic, thats for sure. Front panel attaches first, then both sides go on. The trim is on the side panels so when you put them on, the edge of the front piece of acrylic is covered. Looks very finished. Velcro on. Velcro off. Could be done for wood stands just as easily. Pics to come in just a bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store