300 marble tank

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Will be nice to see them on a light base setup. I definitely agree that they look and hold their color best when on a light substrate. Good sand choice as well. My favorite.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You don't "need" substrate......

I have black backed tanks, and have great results with blue painted bottoms and white sand, but they move around the sand so much it's usually the blue paint showing.

Natural pool filter sand is ok as well.

It has some to do with what kind of marbling the ray has too......

I've tried lots of stuff.... Dark colors, light colors, white, even orange, and seems it varies a lot depending on the ray itself but seems bright blue (royal sail blue to be exact) has had best overall results....
The sand is more of a quick fix at this point. Tank was painted with 3 coats of black oilbase 4yrs ago and its not worth me tearing down to scrape and re paint when the rays need an upgrade soon anyway. Def. Curious to try blue or something different in my 8'x3' there going in next so its more catered to them. Thanks for the tips everyone, much appfeciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ICHIBAN TROPICAL FISH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Steeler city
Good looking marbles, best advice I can give is get them off the black bottom and onto to something white whether it be sand, fine gravel, or frp panel if you really want them to show their true colors. Black bottoms will kill marbles looks and if left too long will almost loose their pattern completely. I always loved the look of that marble/motoro
x2 this for russ it nice to she her doing great and fats , if i was you i would add some pool sand able to light the color of mb up ,it no need to add the bright light either and also you will help them able to mate love faster hehehe

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
x2 this for russ it nice to she her doing great and fats , if i was you i would add some pool sand able to light the color of mb up ,it no need to add the bright light either and also you will help them able to mate love faster hehehe
Thanks jojo! Torpedo beach sand should be here this monday for her. Thanks for the compliments, i couldnt be happier with her :). Much appreciated on bringing her in for me!

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Nice update Russ. So happy to see the male is doing well, he looks great.

Filtration upgrade is looking real solid as well, very clean!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Nice update Russ. So happy to see the male is doing well, he looks great.

Filtration upgrade is looking real solid as well, very clean!
Thanks Reed! Couldnt have done it all without ya and ur help on the drip system install. I had some top notch setups to study/copy at ur house lol. Life is great now on the autodrip for me and the fish alike.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
WHERE IS THE SAND!!!! Darn delivery man needs to hurry up, wash it first and then add the sand then add the clarity packets, they will clean the water up fast with the filter socks

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1396334818958.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396334853681.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396334882445.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396334903475.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396334941102.jpg
Well kevin...uve been waitin for this day longer than anyone else haha... 40lbs for tonight, im gonna let it ride for a few and see if it needs the other 20-40lbs i have. This is right after/during the drop in of the sand, im quite surprised how well the system handeled it, not too cloudy, i tried not to be lazy and wash it multiple times. Kills me to use this much substrate lol but hopefully it perks up my pair a bit more on the color scales.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Looking better already :) That sand is perfect ray sand and as long as you keep it 1" or so you will never have to clean it with adult rays, they will dig push and blow in it all day and night.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store