523 gallon plywood build (pic heavy)

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Well, got the 6" fiberlgass corner cloth from US Composites today, to bad I have to wait on the wood filler from Home Depot since they don't carry it in-store I have to wait on them to ship it :/ Gotta love the waiting game! I'm hoping it arrives early next week so I can start glassing the corners then hopefully late next week I can actually start the epoxy sealing. I only got a 1.5 gallon kit of Max ACR based on VLDesigns 2600 gallon build, my tank is a little less than 1/4th his and he had said he used 4 kits for his so I'm really hopeful that 1 kit will be enough for mine, if not I'll be waiting longer to order a second kit :)

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Forgot to mention also started planning my filter so I ordered a Petair Aquatics triple mech filter to use with a Quiet one 4000 as a closed loop system for extra flow and some water polishing in one. For the main filter I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub I used on my old reef system that I'm going to drop 2 5 drawer sterilite towers in and use as a wet/dry system powered by my Iwaki MD-100RLT, the towers are nice since they have the 2 smaller drawers that I can add any chemical media + some micron filter pads for extra polishing. Also using a 1gph drip system for continuous water changes. Should be enough I'm thinking.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Got the PC Woody in from Home Depot this evening so got busy filling in screw holes and getting the seams. This stuff was like the oldest marshmallow creme you've ever messed with, was crazy tough to work with but the results seemed good. Says it takes 3 days to cure since its an epoxy so maybe Mon or Tues I will start laying the glass in the corners after I get the whole tank sanded real good.
100_5722.JPG100_5723.JPG

100_5722.JPG

100_5723.JPG

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I used Liquid Nails construction adhesive on the whole frame behind the plywood as well as between the plywood sheets where they butt up together, this thing is solid as a rock, I cant budge the structure, which sadly doesn't really mean it won't leak :/ Once this dries and I get the whole thing sanded and glass laid in the seams yea i will be using max acr for the seal.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Well got the whole tank sanded today, was going to start glassing the corners and of course, work calls.... Gotta love those surprise calls. Guess it won't be till tomorrow or wed till I get to start glassing. One question how long should I wait after I lay the glass before I start applying Max acr to seal it?

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
If you can still access it I would put some insulation between the tank and the basement wall. Since the basement wall will probably be cooler than the tank temp you'd want a thermal break to prevent a constant heat loss. Not to mention the possibility of condensation in that cavity. You coated all the exposed wood right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store