523 gallon plywood build (pic heavy)

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
If you can still access it I would put some insulation between the tank and the basement wall. Since the basement wall will probably be cooler than the tank temp you'd want a thermal break to prevent a constant heat loss. Not to mention the possibility of condensation in that cavity. You coated all the exposed wood right?
Hrmmm, that's a good idea, i will put some foam insulation between the tank and wall, hadn't thought about that. The outer tank is painted with drylock to help protect it against splash damage. thank you!

jardiniarokeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Brunei Darussalam
any updates?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Unfortunately, no updates yet. Overtime is killing my time frame on finishing this tank. I had hoped to have it glassed tuesday and start sealing it today or tomorrow but it looks like I won't be able to put down the fiberglass till friday and start sealing it next tuesday :(

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Build quality looks great! Keep those pictures coming :)

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Got the fiberglass laid in the seams this morning but I think my wife took the camera so pics will have to wait till later :) I was really afraid of this part but it was actually quite easy, I took the suggestion from member blacktip from his 1700 gallon shark tank build and cut the cloth at a 45 degree angle in the corners and folding it over so you could just keep going with 1 peice instead of cutting it up, so the peice going around the entire bottom seam is 1 solid peice of cloth. Now I'm just not sure how long I need to wait before I start putting down the coats of max acr, I sent an email to the vendor so hopefully they will answer today.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Got 2 coats down now, hoping to get the last 2 coats down today. It's kinda hard to see in the pic but you can kinda tell from a slight reflection of the right corner. Seems to be very thin, but I guess thats how it is, I may put another layer of fiberglass in the seams along the bottom with the next coat just for peace of mind.
IMAG2829.jpg

IMAG2829.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store