55 tang setup

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve decided to scrap the tropheus idea for now and set up a 55 tang. I kind of have an idea what I’m going to do, but I’m looking for additional ideas
So how would you guys do a 55 tang?
Milingu Milingu
Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Probably six and six. IME they will both pair and reject the others. I might try for a pair of caudos and a colony of calvus but I have only had a colony in a 75G with 3 males. If I felt like gambling I might try 9 calvus and see if I could get 3m:6f of something close that works.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Probably six and six. IME they will both pair and reject the others. I might try for a pair of caudos and a colony of calvus but I have only had a colony in a 75G with 3 males. If I felt like gambling I might try 9 calvus and see if I could get 3m:6f of something close that works.
I just watched some videos of calvus and they do look pretty sweet. I’ve kept caudos and they were ok, not my favorite. Is there anything else that would be a cool mix with calvus? If I did the caudo/calvus mix. Should I do rockscape on one side and shells on the other? I had a julie/caudo setup like that a while back.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Actually, how about a group of Callochromis melanostigma with a group of calvus? The behavior of the callochromis seems pretty interesting

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I like the black ones because of color...so tribal. But they are similar I believe.

Callochromis are aggressive and recommended to keep one male/tank. Not sure about them in a 55G but I would give them the bottom, I would not combine with calvus or other rock dwellers.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I think I had two Black & one Yellow.
All males.
I bought them as very small unsexed juveniles. I grew them out in a 65 gal.
tank.
All was fine until they reached between 2.5 & 3 inches. That's the point where conspecific aggression began. Within a year the dominant Black Calvus murdered his two brother's.
Maybe two males in a 125 gal. would work if enough hardscape was provided. Calvus are truly awsome Cichlids and worth keeping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store