55 tang setup

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I like the black ones because of color...so tribal. But they are similar I believe.

Callochromis are aggressive and recommended to keep one male/tank. Not sure about them in a 55G but I would give them the bottom, I would not combine with calvus or other rock dwellers.
Oh ok, Thanks!

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I think I had two Black & one Yellow.
All males.
I bought them as very small unsexed juveniles. I grew them out in a 65 gal.
tank.
All was fine until they reached between 2.5 & 3 inches. That's the point where conspecific aggression began. Within a year the dominant Black Calvus murdered his two brother's.
Maybe two males in a 125 gal. would work if enough hardscape was provided. Calvus are truly awsome Cichlids and worth keeping.
Maybe I’ll see if I can find some that are old enough to sex

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I also really like Neolamprologus tretocephalus. How would these do in a 55 and what can they have as tank mates?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Calvus and caudopunctatus.
One of the best combinations for that tank size. N. caudopunctatus is quite underrated in my eyes. They are easy to keep, not too aggressive and they pair up easily. One of the few species where you can just have 1/1 and they most likely will form a pair.

Edit: forget the last part. I had confused tretocephalus with tetracanthus

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I m attracted to trets too, but from what I read and hear from serious hobbyists a pair in a 75G would be a success. They tend to kill everyone else and each other when they spawn.

I had 2 male calvus in a 72" tank and had to remove one. But I have had a colony with 3 males and a bunch of females in a 75G.

IME calvus are hard to get other than juvenile...I can't imagine how expensive they would be to get mature, sexed fish...that also had paired because just any old male:female may not work together. Buying a bunch unsexed is affordable and if one/some are rejected you can sell them for the bigger bucks the more mature calvus bring.

Last edited:

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for all the input!! I have a couple ideas I’m rolling around. The tank is up and running and I’ll be placing an order this evening hopefully, I’ll post what I decide on

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I m attracted to trets too, but from what I read and hear from serious hobbyists a pair in a 75G would be a success. They tend to kill everyone else and each other when they spawn.

I had 2 male calvus in a 72" tank and had to remove one. But I have had a colony with 3 males and a bunch of females in a 75G.

IME calvus are hard to get other than juvenile...I can't imagine how expensive they would be to get mature, sexed fish...that also had paired because just any old male:female may not work together. Buying a bunch unsexed is affordable and if one/some are rejected you can sell them for the bigger bucks the more mature calvus bring.
I’ve decided on a species tank with a group of Callochromis melanostigma. I’m finding their behavior really interesting. Im thinking I’ll order 15 and remove extra males as needed.
Thanks for all the advice!!

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
This is what Seriously Fish says about Callochromis:
A tank of around 48″ x 18″ x 18″ (120cm x 45cm x 45cm) – 240 litres in size could house a small group of these, consisting of a male and a harem of three or more females. A much bigger tank would be needed if you want to keep several males together.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
This is what Seriously Fish says about Callochromis:
A tank of around 48″ x 18″ x 18″ (120cm x 45cm x 45cm) – 240 litres in size could house a small group of these, consisting of a male and a harem of three or more females. A much bigger tank would be needed if you want to keep several males together.
I did see that but I’m getting 15 just so I can guarantee a male and several females and I’ll remove the extra males and possibly a couple females depending on how it goes. Ideally I’ll end up with 1 male and 5-7 females or maybe I’ll get lucky and two males will occupy opposite ends lol but I doubt I’m that lucky
I don’t really think the width is a deal breaker with fish this size, I think the length is what’s really important

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have always wanted a tank with julies, N. pulcher and N. leleupi.
Not sure how they would fare together.
And maybe a clavus for fry control.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store