55gal Stand and tank build

rideit6578

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Long Island
:iagree: I really like the work you did on the stand, shoulda put another shelf so you can put two 10gal's or a 20 long under :) Lookin forward to seeing the tank go up! Good Luck!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
way nicer than my cinderblock stand

spirofucci

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Harlingen, Texas
Nice stand! Love the pic of the dueling drills. DIY is always cool.

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
Finished leveling it out now just waiting to get the tank tomorrow when Petco gets them in....
Going to to pool filter sand for the substrate, probably need 2 50lb bags right?
how much do they cost roughly?
also, i am a huge fan of airstones, so i am going to but a 12 inch bar in with 3-4 air stones!
For filtration, i am going to run a Aqueon 55 and an aqueon 20. Maybe upgrading down the road but that is what i have now
Going to put these rocks in to make natural caves and such, found them along the beach this summer and washed them in hot water, also going to do some plastic plants and java fern / moss that i have currently in another tank. I put a sponge in one of my filters in my 20gal today to hopefully grow some good bacteria and am planning on transferring it into the new filter to get a jump start on the cycling the tank
How long till the sand settles?, recommended water change while sand is settling? when can i start up the filters? Add fish?

P4180295.JPG

P4180297.JPG

P4180298.JPG

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
rideit6578;5059713; said:
:iagree: I really like the work you did on the stand, shoulda put another shelf so you can put two 10gal's or a 20 long under :) Lookin forward to seeing the tank go up! Good Luck!
Yea i wish.. the shelf isn't designed to really hold much weight, the bracing is only made from 2 1 by 1/2's that span the entire length, and my parents wouldn't be to happy with more tanks. Had to beg to get permission for this one, the stand was a ton of fun putting together!

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
Kcameron;5060591; said:
nice stand. GL with the aquascaping to come. 55 is great for African cichlids. When I move to my new place I'm gonna set my other 55 up for them as well--but until then I'll just be okay with my 210
Any aquascaping tips to prevent aggression?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store