55gal Stand and tank build

rideit6578

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Long Island
Earthswater;5060572; said:
Yea i wish.. the shelf isn't designed to really hold much weight, the bracing is only made from 2 1 by 1/2's that span the entire length, and my parents wouldn't be to happy with more tanks. Had to beg to get permission for this one, the stand was a ton of fun putting together!
I hear that man. I have my 55 on the standard black metal frame with two 10's underneath and I worry the board underneath isn't strong enough for the two tanks. As for the push for more tanks in the house it can be hard. I still live at home and currently have 8 tanks set up b/w me and my father who has been in the hobby for about 40 years. I'm currently pushing for one more tank to start my first saltwater tank but my dad has been putting his foot down, and this is from a hobbyist. It's driving me nuts. :nilly::cry:

Gruntking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Miami
Great build Earthswater!!!

As far as pool filter sand goes its usually around $5 for 50 lbs. You can get away with 50 lbs for the 55 gal, but you can always do 100 pounds if you want more sand.

Rinse and stir the sand in 5 gal buckets till the water comes out clear, and then apply to the tank. Try not to dunk it all in there as this will make the water cloudier. Usually by the time all the sand has been applied, wait 30 mins and turn on the filters. Wait another hour and if the sand hasnt settled you can always do a 50 pct water change and it will help tremendously. You dont have any fish in there so i would just leave it with the filters running overnight and that should take care of it!

Good choice on the africans, they are beautiful fish and always active. Provide alot of caves for them with those rocks, and remember to try and get your ph to 8.0-8.2 which is their natural water.

As far as filtration get an aquaclear 110, petsmart has them on sale for $70 so if you can buy one, its a great filter.

Keep us posted!

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
Gruntking;5060742; said:
Great build Earthswater!!!

As far as pool filter sand goes its usually around $5 for 50 lbs. You can get away with 50 lbs for the 55 gal, but you can always do 100 pounds if you want more sand.

Rinse and stir the sand in 5 gal buckets till the water comes out clear, and then apply to the tank. Try not to dunk it all in there as this will make the water cloudier. Usually by the time all the sand has been applied, wait 30 mins and turn on the filters. Wait another hour and if the sand hasnt settled you can always do a 50 pct water change and it will help tremendously. You dont have any fish in there so i would just leave it with the filters running overnight and that should take care of it!

Good choice on the africans, they are beautiful fish and always active. Provide alot of caves for them with those rocks, and remember to try and get your ph to 8.0-8.2 which is their natural water.

As far as filtration get an aquaclear 110, petsmart has them on sale for $70 so if you can buy one, its a great filter.

Keep us posted!
I have exhausted all of my funds so i am sticking with the filters i have for now. Also, how deep of a layer would one bag of sand give me? Also my tap water ph is about 6.4..... not ideal, so i was planning on filling up an aqueon 20 with crushed coral and just hoping that will take care of it....good? bad?

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
OK, so i called Petco today before going and they said that they didn't get any 55gallon tanks in their shipment today after only a few days ago they reassured me that they would have some?????? Also called 3 other ones in the area and they said that they are all out....... Boy i am glad that i got that rain check!!! So now i need to wait until next Tuesday and even then there are no guarantees that they will have any..... Ok now i am done my rant :)

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
Earthswater;5063029; said:
OK, so i called Petco today before going and they said that they didn't get any 55gallon tanks in their shipment today after only a few days ago they reassured me that they would have some?????? Also called 3 other ones in the area and they said that they are all out....... Boy i am glad that i got that rain check!!! So now i need to wait until next Tuesday and even then there are no guarantees that they will have any..... Ok now i am done my rant :)
Uhm, not sure how your Petco operates but why in the world can't you just have them order one for you? You can just have any lfs here order tanks and they'll have it in a week...

Earthswater

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Connecticut
Umm.. as for craigslist, my partents don't want to go to some strangers house to pick up a tank and they would be worried that it might leak, as for the Petco deal, it is 199 on sale for 119

Gruntking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Miami
Well for that price, i would just buy it off petco, although you can probably find a 55 with stand and filters for the same price, but you dont need those things so meh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store