75 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I’m going to be rescaping my 75 gallon in the near future for a Lake Tanganyikan setup, and was wondering from the experts how many different species I could successfully keep together. I will for sure have Neolamprologus Multifasciatus since I have 5 in another tank. The few others below are my top additional choices:

Neolamprologus Brichardi - this may be another ‘must have’ due to being mid water swimmers (not a fan of cyprichromis)
Julidochromis Transcriptus
Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus
Neolamprologus Leleupi

Open to others as well. I feel like 3 species in total should be feasible. Appreciate any thoughts/experience anyone can share though.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Brichardi tend to kill everyone in the tank when spawning, then tolerate their own fry and fill the tank with them. I would skip unless you want a species tank.

I would do the julis and the caudos and maybe one more rock dweller. Upper tank is hard with Tangs.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Just saw you will have shellies. Skip the leleupi as well, they not only eat the fry but also end up killing the adults by continually dragging them out of the shells to get the fry.

Reactions: Milingu and deeda

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Thank you very much for the advice. I’ll go with the Multis and Transcriptus. Do you think Cyprichromis could work with both of these, since they occupy the top of the water column?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Cyps would work but they really thrive in a longer tank. I kept J reganii with multies and prefer them over some of the other julies. Calvus are gorgeous too. S multipunctatus are cool.

Reactions: RTCfan86

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Cyps would work but they really thrive in a longer tank. I kept J reganii with multies and prefer them over some of the other julies. Calvus are gorgeous too. S multipunctatus are cool.
Thanks for the response. Do you think 48” is not long enough?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Reactions: RTCfan86

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thank you very much for the advice. I’ll go with the Multis and Transcriptus. Do you think Cyprichromis could work with both of these, since they occupy the top of the water column?
I had a 90g tang with multis,transcriptus and caudopuntatus that was pretty cool. I only had it for a few months since I moved out of state and sold everything, but it seemed to work well for those few months.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I had a 90g tang with multis,transcriptus and caudopuntatus that was pretty cool. I only had it for a few months since I moved out of state and sold everything, but it seemed to work well for those few months.
Thanks for the info! Was there every any territory issues since the multis and caudopuncs both claim shells?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for the info! Was there every any territory issues since the multis and caudopuncs both claim shells?
There was constant minor chasing without damage, mostly between the same species tho. Everyone seemed to stay in the area I designed for them. I bought everyone as very young juvies and I think the tank was only up 3-4 months, so just keep that in mind. Now that I think of it, I don’t remember the type of Julie’s I had, so I’ll attach a video. The advice I usually give is, unless it’s something outrageous that is a definite no-no, give it a shot as long as you have a back up plan.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store