75 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I added some more shells this morning and have 25 now. I was thinking of the Caudopuncs…from the research I did, I was hearing a lot about how they can fight the actual shell dwellers for shells. Happy to hear different reviews here though.
25 shells is a good start. Double that and they will be even happier. Try to space them out in groups of 5 or so.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I picked up 2 ‘Congo’ Black Calvus today who are barely over 1” and added them to this tank with the 5 Multis. The LFS told me they had Julidochromis Transcriptus, but they were labeled incorrectly, appearing to actually be Regani…so I passed. I can’t find the Transcriptus anywhere at the moment. Do I have any other rock dwelling options? I know the Caudopunctatus were mentioned as well. Does Brichardi really need to be species only?

Also, I have 3 Synodontis Lucippinis in another tank. Would they work in this setup, or would the Multis be an issue? I was thinking there may be enough rocks to keep them apart, but not entirely sure (tank was posted further back).

Last edited:

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I picked up 2 ‘Congo’ Black Calvus today who are barely over 1” and added them to this tank with the 5 Multis. The LFS told me they had Julidochromis Transcriptus, but they were labeled incorrectly, appearing to actually be Regani…so I passed. I can’t find the Transcriptus anywhere at the moment. Do I have any other rock dwelling options? I know the Caudopunctatus were mentioned as well. Does Brichardi really need to be species only?

Also, I have 3 Synodontis Lucippinis in another tank. Would they work in this setup, or would the Multis be an issue? I was thinking there may be enough rocks to keep them apart, but not entirely sure (tank was posted further back).
Sorry, disregard, I see I already asked some of these questions.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would skip the Synos with the multies in any tank, and I would add 4 calvus so they have their choice of mates.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I would skip the Synos with the multies in any tank, and I would add 4 calvus so they have their choice of mates.
Thank you for the response, I will skip them. I only got 2 Calvus since I figured the Multis and Julies (once I got them) would likely both spawn a lot. That said, do you still think I should get 2 more Calvus?

Reactions: tlindsey

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would ADD 4 calvus so you have a group of six. They are likely to form a pair and reject the other four which you will then remove. With only two if they don't get along (which you may not know for 2 years) you will be starting over to find a mate for your male.

IME julidochromis do spawn regularly but they do not fill the tank with their fry. The other fish get the babies or the babies mature and are rejected from the tank by the parental pair or trio.

Same with multis...the other fish will get most of the fry and the colony will grow slowly. I would expect you will be removing adults in coming years to keep the tank balances.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I would ADD 4 calvus so you have a group of six. They are likely to form a pair and reject the other four which you will then remove. With only two if they don't get along (which you may not know for 2 years) you will be starting over to find a mate for your male.

IME julidochromis do spawn regularly but they do not fill the tank with their fry. The other fish get the babies or the babies mature and are rejected from the tank by the parental pair or trio.

Same with multis...the other fish will get most of the fry and the colony will grow slowly. I would expect you will be removing adults in coming years to keep the tank balances.
Got it, thank you very much for clarifying. I actually just called a fish store a little further out and they have both the Calvus and Transcriptus. I’m going to take a trip later today to pick some up.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store