75 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I had a 90g tang with multis,transcriptus and caudopuntatus that was pretty cool. I only had it for a few months since I moved out of state and sold everything, but it seemed to work well for those few months.
Thanks for the info! Was there every any territory issues since the multis and
There was constant minor chasing without damage, mostly between the same species tho. Everyone seemed to stay in the area I designed for them. I bought everyone as very young juvies and I think the tank was only up 3-4 months, so just keep that in mind. Now that I think of it, I don’t remember the type of Julie’s I had, so I’ll attach a video. The advice I usually give is, unless it’s something outrageous that is a definite no-no, give it a shot as long as you have a back up plan.

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Love the community setup. Like you said, the age of the fish/tank make a big difference, as I bet things would change once a couple pairs start forming.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Just saw you will have shellies. Skip the leleupi as well, they not only eat the fry but also end up killing the adults by continually dragging them out of the shells to get the fry.
DJRansome DJRansome if I went with the Multis and J. Transcriptus, what other rock dweller would you recommend as the third species? Could I have a single Brichardi and single Calvus? Trying to have a little variety while still ensuring I have enough space for different territories.

Also, will Synodontis Lucippinis survive if the rock dwellers start spawning?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You probably don't want synodontis and shellies. I have never found single Tangs to add anything to the tank...but you could do julidochromis and calvus in a 75G with shellies.

Reactions: RTCfan86

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
DJRansome DJRansome if I went with the Multis and J. Transcriptus, what other rock dweller would you recommend as the third species? Could I have a single Brichardi and single Calvus? Trying to have a little variety while still ensuring I have enough space for different territories.

Also, will Synodontis Lucippinis survive if the rock dwellers start spawning?
I kept a single multipunctatus with my multies. I also had a gold head calvus that was gorgeous.
I don't think I would recommend a single brichardi.

Reactions: RTCfan86

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I kept a single multipunctatus with my multies. I also had a gold head calvus that was gorgeous.
I don't think I would recommend a single brichardi.
Thank you. The Brichardi are so pretty, so I was thinking maybe 1 could work since I can’t keep multiple with other species. I’ll skip them though.

Reactions: fishguy1978

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
I just finished the scape today…a little cloudy still from all the movement. I will be adding another 10 or so shells tomorrow when I add my Multis (I have 5 in another tank). The plan is to also add about 4 Julidochromis Transcriptus and maybe the 1 Caudopunctatus fishguy1978 fishguy1978 mentioned, and a Calvus. Do I have enough rocks here?

IMG_8583.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I just finished the scape today…a little cloudy still from all the movement. I will be adding another 10 or so shells tomorrow when I add my Multis (I have 5 in another tank). The plan is to also add about 4 Julidochromis Transcriptus and maybe the 1 Caudopunctatus fishguy1978 fishguy1978 mentioned, and a Calvus. Do I have enough rocks here?

View attachment 1536445
Looks good, the only potential issue I see is that the rock piles and shells are near each other which means the Shellie’s and Julie’s may be near each other. Try it and see but you may have to redo it so the shell area is separated from the rocks if they clash. If you look at my vid, I had the shells on one side and rocks on the other for that purpose.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store