7500 GALLON SHARK TANK FOR MY NEW HOME

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
I am sure he is still working on it, but such a huge tank will take sometime to get everything ready.

Let us know when you start filling it with water and progress pics.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
update coming soon...
everything going well so far. As you can imagine there's a lot of related components of such a build, it's taking a little more time than I thought.
I'm actually flying out to Netherlands to pick out the fish in two weeks from De Jong Marinelife. Has anyone purchased anything from there? I want to confirm that their prices are not way off the market price for each species.

Kangadrew

Banned
Aug 7, 2015
If you had nice, rounded corners you could do a single bonnethead, 2 would be pushing it. Check out the "Comprehensive Guide to Monster Fish" thread under "General Discussion" - loads of information on there. Just don't post please :)

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
A Atumi The tank is almost ready, saltwater is now being put in through reverse osmosis. It will probably take 4-5 days... I will then start the system and monitor the levels for at least 15-20 days before I put the first fish in...
I have never had a tank this big so it came with numerous challenges. But, all in all, it was a great experience even designing, building and setting it up.
Hopefully, I'll be able to share some photos of the finished tank very soon.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Considering the size of the tank and the shark species which have been talked about here - I have the following advice.

Atlantic Sharpnose - Definitely Not - for reasons which have already been stated.
Blacktip Reef - possible but will outgrow this tank by the time it's an adult.
Bonnethead - Definitely Not - for reasons stated above.
Japanese Leopard & Smoothhounds - Possible if it's a temperate(60-70F) tank.
Whitetip Reef - Possible, at least until 4 feet long.

There are also many benthic species of sharks and ray which would be well suited for this tank - including bamboo sharks, epaulette sharks, wobbegongs, horn sharks, catsharks, round stingrays, bat rays, and or cownose rays.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Still not able to introduce the fish into the aquarium.... The water is still too cold, around low 60s!!
The plan was to get the water temp to 70-75 when the house is heated but to no avail!
I'm going to add a heater into the system, a heater that will be sufficient to warm 7500 gallons of water...
Frustrating!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store