[video=youtube_share;VEGKa2WygWQ]http://youtu.be/VEGKa2WygWQ[/video]
Where did you find that driftwood?!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
To each his own, another reason why this is a great thread
...that being said, what about using a portable tank to heat w/ gas?
I know, I'm in the minority on this site...I prefer large tanks over large fish.

I thought about using a propane heater, but in reality the electric heaters haven't been near as expensive as I thought they would be. This winter was pretty mild so the coldest months (December/January) have only cost me $40/month.

Where did you find that driftwood?!
It was pulled from Folsom Lake in Northern California. The previous owner of the tank found it and cut the stumps to size. Great find on his part...I really like them too.

Reactions: Garrett.turbo

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
Hey did u use painted trimed down wood to level the tank under the stand ? I don't think the store bought shims are strong enough to hold 5tons ,, thanks for ur help !

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Hey did u use painted trimed down wood to level the tank under the stand ? I don't think the store bought shims are strong enough to hold 5tons ,, thanks for ur help !
I made giant shims out of popular wood. I bought various thicknesses (.25", .5", .75" and 1") and used an electric sander to ease the transition between the different sizes. I used wood glue to connect them. I then painted the shims using a high gloss paint to protect them from water/spills. So far they are holding up great. I think the fact that they run almost the entire length of the tank helps. In other words, if all that weight was on a little 2" shim on the low end of the tank, then it might cause problems. But since the weight is distributed evenly across a span of over 9' on both the front, back and the 3' end of the stand, I think wood shims are ok.

aldiaz33
Great set up and stock. :D
This tank is huge !
Thanks raubiy

Thats one big tanks
This is true.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
It was pulled from Folsom Lake in Northern California. The previous owner of the tank found it and cut the stumps to size. Great find on his part...I really like them too.
Very cool. I love the look of it. I created a "rotting stump" out of a handful of pieces for my 180g and I really want to find a full blown tree trunk to compliment it in the 300 I'm setting up now. Might go check out a few local lakes. Thanks for the tip.

jjb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Rowlett Texas
I made giant shims out of popular wood. I bought various thicknesses (.25", .5", .75" and 1") and used an electric sander to ease the transition between the different sizes. I used wood glue to connect them. I then painted the shims using a high gloss paint to protect them from water/spills. So far they are holding up great. I think the fact that they run almost the entire length of the tank helps. In other words, if all that weight was on a little 2" shim on the low end of the tank, then it might cause problems. But since the weight is distributed evenly across a span of over 9' on both the front, back and the 3' end of the stand, I think wood shims are ok.

Very nice and proffesional very well made ,,, like you my floor was way off and I was able to do a full piece of wood on one end and and I made aluminum shims for the rest,,, thanks for the reply

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Here's the most recent video I took. The widebars are getting big.

The video was taken later in the evening and most of the Clown Loaches had already turned in for the night.

[video=youtube_share;8c3RDSdE4bs]http://youtu.be/8c3RDSdE4bs[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store