A kid buys a RTC for a 20 gallon and releases it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Sure there ought to have a law for this and that. A few things: who is going to pay for enforcement? Why grow the government any bigger? Why would you want to give any more power to authorities? Pretty soon, something as reasonable as feeding a live fish to another fish, a perfectly natural thing to do may even be banned ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Dropping a large fish into a glass box and then dropping a smaller fish with no means of escape is hardly natural, just saying.
And it's not about expanding the government. Local game and wildlife authorities regulate it. There is no expansion there. IMO red tail cats and pacu need to be outlawed. I come across A LOT of people that own them and have no idea what the hell they're doing. I work at a lfs.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Dropping a large fish into a glass box and then dropping a smaller fish with no means of escape is hardly natural, just saying.
And it's not about expanding the government. Local game and wildlife authorities regulate it. There is no expansion there. IMO red tail cats and pacu need to be outlawed. I come across A LOT of people that own them and have no idea what the hell they're doing. I work at a lfs.

Natural food, and not talking about goldfish either. Dropping a fish into a glass box is hardly natural in the first place. So what?

Every new law expands the government. It does not have to involve new agencies. Are you going to have home inspections?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I just think lfs should stop selling them. That would solve 95% of the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Natural food, and not talking about goldfish either. Dropping a fish into a glass box is hardly natural in the first place. So what?

Every new law expands the government. It does not have to involve new agencies. Are you going to have home inspections?

My point is don't talk about "natural" when the fish keeping hobby is not that "natural" to begin with.

Of coarse they don't do home inspections. They monitor over the lfs. As they have always done and currently do. Come on man...

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA

Your right there is no means of escape if you truly want to preserve nature stop getting wild caught fish, stop keeping fish all together actually go experience them in the wild. Until you're ready to do that any talk of a natural environment hours out the window.

Increasing the duties of fish and game is an expansion of government period....

Drew

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It will have problems and consequences if people keep doing what they are doing. But seeing a takeover like snakeheads have in comparison to pacu and RTC's and other large fish like oscars for example. Hard to see entirely. Simply for climate. Ocars I don't think will ever get to a point where they can thrive in waters that are below 50 degrees. Not 100% off the top of my head if RTC's and pacu fall into that as well.
They should banned just one cold tolerant snakehead species instead of the whole snakehead family. Giant snakeheads and other tropical snakehead species have been released all over the Americas and they are very comparable to the redtail catfish and pacus when it comes to the survivability of the winters in the Americas.

IMO we need to regulate the sale of pacus and the larger common catfish species to lower the numbers of unwanted fishes and illegal dumping into the nearby lakes/rivers.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Your right there is no means of escape if you truly want to preserve nature stop getting wild caught fish, stop keeping fish all together actually go experience them in the wild. Until you're ready to do that any talk of a natural environment hours out the window.

Increasing the duties of fish and game is an expansion of government period....

Drew
I'm not talking about preservation. I hate when people buy guppies or goldfish and toss them into an oscar tank and say "it's nature".

Here in my area the Wildlife and game lady swings by the few lfs we have and if someone has sting rays, they're confiscated and the owner is fined. If some one has piranha, the fish is confiscated and the owner is fined. Now all that needs to be done is add pacu to that list and there is one more fish they need to be on the look out for. So yes it's an expansion of the duties of a current agency but a very small one. Ecoli made it out as if a new regulatory agency was going to be established.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Sure there ought to have a law for this and that. A few things: who is going to pay for enforcement? Why grow the government any bigger? Why would you want to give any more power to authorities? Pretty soon, something as reasonable as feeding a live fish to another fish, a perfectly natural thing to do may even be banned ;)
My bad, didn't know you were one of the people afraid of the government hostile takeover. If you really wanted to care about the government infringing on our rights then you should've realized that written in the constitution we the people have a right to revolt against a tyrannical government. Which should have been done many years ago considering that congress and the house of representatives made laws that they can govern themselves with laws that make it easier to do what ever they want. So from that point forward we're screwed until people grow a pair.

Either way, there's very little pertaining to fish, their care, and overall health and the ecosystem impacts of irresponsible people. Because the people is where it stems from. You may not be one of them, and there might be very few people that have ever done something like that. But the point is to stop it from happening by governing stupid and irresponsible people.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Next it will be aros(heh banned already in FL), gars, ID sharks, clown knives...etc etc.

How about ATFs, who can really house one of those in large enough tanks and currents? ;)

Heck, why not ban kois. They get huge too, and can survive in the wild.

Adding more and more fish to the banned list is a BAD idea. It is an unacceptable intrusion to the hobby. You are, after all, on a site called mfk ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store