A new monster we all need to be aware of!

jwehrling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
F-Town
First I am hearing of this and not happy about it

stingray steve

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ottawa Canada
Its mainly because of invasive species that can be detrimental to our ecosystem. Example lion fish

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Its mainly because of invasive species that can be detrimental to our ecosystem. Example lion fish

This thread is three years old. The lionfish invasion wasn't even a thing back then.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray steve

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ottawa Canada
I was only using the lion fish as an example and yes it was an issue 3 years ago it just wasn't "mainstream" if you will. Also I was just running through threads and didn't notice how old it was.

tommyoneleg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2013
Binghamton, NY
All I keep getting told is 'read more carefully'. The bill's purpose is NOT "To establish an improved regulatory process for injurious wildlife to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of [all] nonnative wildlife and wild animal pathogens and parasites", it is

Section 2, which defines the bill's purpose, does NOT read "The purpose of this Act is to establish an improved regulatory process for injurious wildlife to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of [all] nonnative wildlife and wild animal pathogens and parasites", it reads:

The purpose of this Act is to establish an improved regulatory process for injurious wildlife to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife and wild animal pathogens and parasites that are likely to cause--

(1) economic or environmental harm; or

(2) harm to humans or animal health.[/
QUOTE]

If it's not ALL non-native animals, then what is it?

Section 3, Definitions, Part 6 reads:

That list is already defined by the Federal Wildlife Service. I will relink it here: http://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ANS/pdf_files/Current_Listed_IW.pdf

My guess is that the 'everything will be banned' misconception comes from the inclusion of what is considered a non-native species in part 9 of the definitions. It is simply a list intended to define what a non-native species is. It could, perhaps, be a misinterpretation of Section 4, which
is titled "PROPOSALS FOR REGULATION OF NONNATIVE WILDLIFE TAXA". I can understand why that is concerning. If you look under that headline, though, under (a), it says that entities MAY propose regulation and even propose re-regulation of already listed species!

If someone with their panties in a twist /does/ decide to propose that legislation, Section 5, "SCIENTIFIC RISK ASSESSMENT AND RISK DETERMINATION REGULATIONS" flat out states that prior to approving or rejecting the proposal, a risk anlaysis will be performed and that -- hence my earlier statement that creatures will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Is it paragraph 2 of Section 11, Prohibitions that is throwing everyone for a loop? It reads, which, taken out of context, certainly DOES sound like everything!! However, it refers to paragraph 1 immediately above it, which describes non-native taxa that are ALSO injurious, not ALL non-native taxa. That part could have been written better.

Please remind me precisely /which/ part I am supposed to be reading more carefully?
Yes I am from the govt and I am here to protect you, it is always for our protection from our overloads who know better then us. Don't worry you will be used to it and when that happens there will be something else to protect you from so you will always be protected. WOW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store