adding an apex controller just for fun.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
mos90;5008006; said:
ive deceided to save the aqua controller for my 125 tank. i really dont need it on my nano even though i need to spend time and organize some wires.
Not a bad plan. Sometimes I cut up notecards, and take some packing tape to make little labels for all the cords too. Better than randomly pulling stuff. :D

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i have cord labels already, that helps a lot.

im going to do this right. nice and neat. i bought 1 extra outlet for my apex so i will have 16 total. should be more then enough.

ended up going with a lifereef skimmer. rated for 250 gals. with mag 9 pump. will have to raise it 4 inches in the sump, no big deal.

found a home more most of my fish in the 125. ideally i should sell my 30" silver arow and then i could add all my fish to the 300. he doesnt like change. lol

to get off track a little. my female motoro was acting a little strange the last few days, come to find out for some reason the ph fell to 6.2, usually it is 6.8. maybe overfeeding. need to clean out the fx5,s.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Wish you were closer man I would take that 30"er off your hands.

You ever breed your motoros?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
Funny u mention ray breeding. 1 of my females. Not sure which 1. Either the motoro or the red retic had 2 babies today. But the father is definately a red retic. Would be a funny cross breed if it was a retic and a motoro

Mudslinger14

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Usa
Lucky bastard.

I want to breed rays :(

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
picture of new sump for my 125. just waiting on the skimmer and bio-pellet reactor and im ready to go.

new sump..jpg

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Where are you buying your bio-pellet reactor? What sort of pellets will you be running? Will you be running from the start? I think that would be the best way to do it.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i bought the sump at premium aquatics. $299.00 . mag 18 return pump teed to 2-3/4" returns w/ballvalve. lifereef 250g skimmer, eshopps 1200 overflow. jbj auto top off with 10gal holding tank. 2-1400 gph korelia powerheads.

bio pellets tend to be a little tricky. i am still debating adding 1 to my 30g nano tank to try it out. on an extisting system u need to start with about 1/4 of the recommeded amount of pellets, so u dont shock the system. then as u build bacteria u can slowly add more. it is recommended not to run a uv and u can run gfo if needed. also u should add some microbacteria7 to seed the reactor.

i bought a modifed phosban reactor(sponges replaced with mesh screens) with a 300gph powerhead. the pellets need to tumble rapidly unlike gfo.

i bought twolittefishies npx bio pellets to try on my 30gal. 200ml treats 50gal so i will use about 75ml to start. ive heard vertex pellets are good also.

for my 125 i will most likely go with vertex pellets and a vertex or geo reactor. i will start it right away to get a good jump on seeding. then it will be stable when the cycle is over.

ive also read that in a low nutrient system with bio-pellets sometimes macro algae may not survive, or there may no need to run a refugium at all. but i will play it by ear and add cheato if the pellets cant maintain n/p at 0. no matter what i plan on using 1" of miracle mud in the fuge and a shallow sand bed in the main tank.

if u are adding pellets to a system with high n/p then u definately need to start slow as not to shock the system and bleach out corals.some guys will start with 1/8 recommended dose and adjust as needed after a few months.

another way to go about it is even after the reactor is up and running,usually 6-8 weeks to complete bacteria growth, is to only run 1/2 dose of pellets as to leave some n/p for your macro algae. then u can run a gfo/carbon reactor as needed.

here is 1 of the main problems guys have. they start out with the full amount of bio pellets for their system. all of a sudden u get a huge bacteria bloom the system cant handle and the skimmer cant pull out. guess what, monster cyano bloom. this is not "normally" an issue if u start slowly.

most guys that start slowly will notice an improvement in water clarity and coral polyp extention in as little as 2 weeks time. some have found the use of a fuge unnecessary.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store