Advice Needed

allkindsofgood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
Temecula ca.
the horned will thrive better and longer if u run a chiller.we dive alot in so cal and catch the small ones.....they r in cold water tanks with scallops and swell sharks as well...and no u dont need a sump but it is optional when consider if you want your skimmer their or a hang on thats the only deciding factor

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sidneymysnake;4330236; said:
Maybe someone else will chime in and tell me what the best route to go would be. My stand is about an inch larger on each side than the tank and there is just no way that I would be able to get a 20g tank in there because of the braces. I would have to build a whole new stand. This is not out of the question by any means - I would just like to get some more info on it before I do that.

Thanks so much for your help :)
I would use all your same equipment. That way you know if your filter breaks etc. You understand the basic nitrogen cycle right?

If so then your going to go shopping.

Grab a some marine sand.
And some salt mix.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
allkindsofgood;4330250; said:
the horned will thrive better and longer if u run a chiller.we dive alot in so cal and catch the small ones.....they r in cold water tanks with scallops and swell sharks as well...and no u dont need a sump but it is optional when consider if you want your skimmer their or a hang on thats the only deciding factor
wait so your in California and your catching cold water horn sharks? Hm...

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
:confused:
TheCanuck;4330428; said:
wait so your in California and your catching cold water horn sharks? Hm...
Isnt that sort of illegal?

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
allkindsofgood;4330250; said:

I'm not really worried about the sharks or what they are going to need at this point. I just know that I want them in the distant future :) Thanks for the input though.

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
TheCanuck;4330418; said:
I would use all your same equipment. That way you know if your filter breaks etc. You understand the basic nitrogen cycle right?

If so then your going to go shopping.

Grab a some marine sand.
And some salt mix.
So you think the filter that I have right now would be enough filtration? I just bought this filter about a month ago but the one I had before was the same filter so I know this filter very well. If it's not good enough though I will switch. I understand the basic nitrogen cycle.

It's going to be about 2 weeks before I dive in. I have to get my hubby his expensive birthday present - then I will buy everything for the tank :)

TheCanuck - do you recommend two power heads as well?

So shopping list at this point is as follows (feel free to comment):

- 90 lbs or so of live rock
- enough salt mix
- a decent testing kit
- 2 power heads
- sand - Question - How much sand? Right now I have playsand in the tank. Will that work or no? If not what kind would work?

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh - almost forgot - what is the best way to test salinity? I have heard of multiple different ways. Which is the most reliable/best?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
sidneymysnake;4330952; said:
Oh - almost forgot - what is the best way to test salinity? I have heard of multiple different ways. Which is the most reliable/best?
For the money, its hard to beat a refractometer.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
sidneymysnake;4330951; said:
So you think the filter that I have right now would be enough filtration? I just bought this filter about a month ago but the one I had before was the same filter so I know this filter very well. If it's not good enough though I will switch. I understand the basic nitrogen cycle.

It's going to be about 2 weeks before I dive in. I have to get my hubby his expensive birthday present - then I will buy everything for the tank :)

TheCanuck - do you recommend two power heads as well?

So shopping list at this point is as follows (feel free to comment):

- 90 lbs or so of live rock
- enough salt mix
- a decent testing kit
- 2 power heads
- sand - Question - How much sand? Right now I have playsand in the tank. Will that work or no? If not what kind would work?
Play sand is based on silicates, which will cause nuisance algae and do nothing for buffering the water hardness. I recommend aragonite, at about 1lb per gallon. I would also ease up on the live rock, I think 1lb of live rock per gallon should be sufficient.

EDIT:

I stand by my comment about play sand being silicate based, because most places that's what it is. However, I have heard that people in Florida can get access to play sand that is aragonite. Take some of the dry play sand and put some vinegar on it, if it fizzes/bubbles, you got the right stuff, other wise... its no bueno.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store