Advice Needed

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
You can use your HOB filter, just be aware you'll want to clean a lot more often than you do a FW set up.

Personally, I used a sump on SW and I use a sump on my 2 FW tanks right now. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to way. So much less maintenance.

You'll definitely want a skimmer. They make HOB skimmers (if you stay sump-less). Heck, even if you go with a sump, you can hang the skimmer off that. Remora Pro from AquaC is probably the best HOB skimmer out there.

Refractometers are probably the best way to test for salinity, but the plastic boxes with the swing arm arrow thingy work as well, and they're heck of a lot cheaper. The key is to make sure you rinse it out after every test because the salt can get caked on the arrow and mess up the reading because it can't move freely.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Like said, the HOB filter wont be your Bentley filtration, but for simple stocking it will do more than the job needed for the amount of live rock you plan on buying. You can post your budget and i could actually build the whole tank for you equipment and everything, with links pictures, prices etc.

I would deffffff go with marine sand. Proper sand is more important than the live rock. ;)

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
TheCanuck;4331479; said:
Like said, the HOB filter wont be your Bentley filtration, but for simple stocking it will do more than the job needed for the amount of live rock you plan on buying. You can post your budget and i could actually build the whole tank for you equipment and everything, with links pictures, prices etc.

I would deffffff go with marine sand. Proper sand is more important than the live rock. ;)
I don't really know my budget lol. I want to stay low, but I don't want to skimp where I need to for the sake of saving a buck, you know? I don't have thousands upon thousands and I'm going to be spending about $500 in the next month or so for my hubby's b-day. This tank is my b-day present from him lol he just doesn't know it yet. So if you can stick to under $1000 that'd be best. Lower than that would be even better but don't want to do more harm than good at the expense of a few dollars.

I know I can get live rock at a local store along with the sand.

Okay, will switch up the sand too - not a big deal but just didn't want to have to move like 30+ pounds of sand if it wasn't necessary.

Someone else said 45 lbs of live rock is good - do you think I should go with 45 like they recommended or 90 like with my original estimate?

With the sand - how much should I get?

Sorry for all of the annoying, repetitive questions - I just don't want to do it wrong :)

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
EastBay;4331164; said:
You can use your HOB filter, just be aware you'll want to clean a lot more often than you do a FW set up.

Personally, I used a sump on SW and I use a sump on my 2 FW tanks right now. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to way. So much less maintenance.

You'll definitely want a skimmer. They make HOB skimmers (if you stay sump-less). Heck, even if you go with a sump, you can hang the skimmer off that. Remora Pro from AquaC is probably the best HOB skimmer out there.

Refractometers are probably the best way to test for salinity, but the plastic boxes with the swing arm arrow thingy work as well, and they're heck of a lot cheaper. The key is to make sure you rinse it out after every test because the salt can get caked on the arrow and mess up the reading because it can't move freely.

The only problem I have with a sump is that if I get one I am going to have to build a whole new stand. It's not a big deal to do so - I just want to avoid that if I can as I am not the handiest of people and my dad is already wanting to kill me for making him do two huge reptile cages for me :)

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
45lbs of rock, it all doesn't need to be alive but live is always better. Just more money.
45lbs of sand, i personally use caribeasea, its live in the bag and never had ill results.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4409&pcatid=4409

This is a great skimmer, and filtration unit. Not only does it protein skim it can filter your tank biologically too. This with your HOB filter and live rock with sand should be MORE than enough to keep your tank SUPER clear.

I use coral life salt, it has all the right additives, and clears within 3 minutes with warm water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3000L-H-POWER-H...ultDomain_0&hash=item19bd5bc8a3#ht_3326wt_989

This is a 700gph wave maker to add flow and to eliminate dead spots in your tank. I suggest you place it at one end and place the HOB filter intake at the other so that water and poo/crap is being pushed towards the filter intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salinity-Refrac...t_Equipment&hash=item43a086cea9#ht_1823wt_704

Refractometer. They sell for over 50$ in stores. I have personally used ebay stuff and love it :D

Thats the shopping you have to do, once you get all this we can piece it together.

I have actually used all these products with perfect results and still have them in use. Your looking at 200$ to get started with EVERYTHING except the rock. I suggest 45lbs otherwise your fish wont have room to swim. Hell might even go lighter than that. I wouldn't pay more than 1-3$ a lb

all together i say 350 bucks with live rock, tank should be up and running and be HIGHLY efficient, and low maintenance as well

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
TheCanuck;4332182; said:
45lbs of rock, it all doesn't need to be alive but live is always better. Just more money.
45lbs of sand, i personally use caribeasea, its live in the bag and never had ill results.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4409&pcatid=4409

This is a great skimmer, and filtration unit. Not only does it protein skim it can filter your tank biologically too. This with your HOB filter and live rock with sand should be MORE than enough to keep your tank SUPER clear.

I use coral life salt, it has all the right additives, and clears within 3 minutes with warm water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3000L-H-POWER-H...ultDomain_0&hash=item19bd5bc8a3#ht_3326wt_989

This is a 700gph wave maker to add flow and to eliminate dead spots in your tank. I suggest you place it at one end and place the HOB filter intake at the other so that water and poo/crap is being pushed towards the filter intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Salinity-Refrac...t_Equipment&hash=item43a086cea9#ht_1823wt_704

Refractometer. They sell for over 50$ in stores. I have personally used ebay stuff and love it :D

Thats the shopping you have to do, once you get all this we can piece it together.

I have actually used all these products with perfect results and still have them in use. Your looking at 200$ to get started with EVERYTHING except the rock. I suggest 45lbs otherwise your fish wont have room to swim. Hell might even go lighter than that. I wouldn't pay more than 1-3$ a lb

all together i say 350 bucks with live rock, tank should be up and running and be HIGHLY efficient, and low maintenance as well
Great! Thanks so much I really appreciate all of your help. I will look you up when I actually get everything that I need.

This isn't right, my present is going to be cheaper than his :irked: We'll have to do something about that LOL

Last question - which test kit is best?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sidneymysnake;4332275; said:
Great! Thanks so much I really appreciate all of your help. I will look you up when I actually get everything that I need.

This isn't right, my present is going to be cheaper than his :irked: We'll have to do something about that LOL

Last question - which test kit is best?
API liquid. It sells cheaper than most places at petsmart, as well as the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store