Any FIN cutters out there?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I know you are out there but its hardly ever talked about here on MFK. Does anybody cut their fishes fins? Anybody have it done in the past?

And NO I am not talking about sushi either, Im talking about the practice of cutting your fishes improperly grown fins so that it can heal correctly...

Lets see some before and after pics!!! :popcorn:

If you have never done this before, what are your thoughts on this? Do you feel its selfish of the owner to put the fish through this? Would you say the same thing if it was a $5,000 prize fish?

fishticuffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
colorado
i have been thinking of trying this on a green terror, she got into some fights as a younger fish an she never healed completly. i have seriously contemplated trying to clean up the edges of her fins with some surgical scissors. what kind of 5000 dollar fish do you have?

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
I think it's almost the same as getting your dogs ears cropped, or getting their tails docked. It's an aesthetic thing. I personally love all my fish just the way they are, and I wouldn't put my fish through it. Many people don't think that fish can feel pain, but I am sure that if they can stress, then they can feel pain. And if it's grown "incorrectly" then isn't that the way nature intended it to be for that fish? What is really correct, and not correct?? I have a Jack Dempsey that I got from a fellow MFKer, and it's dorsal fin is all jacked up, and his side fins are all grown improperly, but hey, he's just a fish.

I would never EVER pay $5,000 for a fish. I've paid over $400 for specific koi fish, but never $5,000. Wow.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
I agree with fin chopping being like docking ears, not a big fan. If the fish is alive and healthy just let it be. If you can't stand it, find it an owner who will. As for it being a 5 grand prized fish.... wow, wouldn't even ever think about buying something like that even if I had that kind of money to toss around.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
fishticuffs;4124357; said:
what kind of 5000 dollar fish do you have?
Just using it as an example

;):D

fishticuffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
colorado
oscarcrazy;4124388; said:
I agree with fin chopping being like docking ears, not a big fan. If the fish is alive and healthy just let it be. If you can't stand it, find it an owner who will. As for it being a 5 grand prized fish.... wow, wouldn't even ever think about buying something like that even if I had that kind of money to toss around.
come on if you were filthey rich you wouldnt buy that fish you always wantede but cnt afford? not sayin i would spend 5 k anytime in the near future, but it would be cool if i was rollin in the dough to get something super rare that no one else has. the traditional reason for docking ears an cropping tails is for fighting dogs(i dont agree with dog fighing), it is to keep them from bleeding out if they are bitten. ears an tails have a problem with coagulation. i dont practice any cropping practices on my curent dogs( one is a red nose pitbull) but i have cropped a pit i had in the past because he kept whacking it on the corner of the wall in our home. i came home one day an thought he had killed some burglar in the house because there was blood every where. i mean EVERY WHERE. not the case, he had just whacked it again really good an lost alot of blood that day. thats when we had to crop his tail.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
fishticuffs;4124408; said:
the traditional reason for docking ears an cropping tails is for fighting dogs(i dont agree with dog fighing), it is to keep them from bleeding out if they are bitten. ears an tails have a problem with coagulation.
Interesting, learned something new today :)

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
fishticuffs;4124408; said:
come on if you were filthey rich you wouldnt buy that fish you always wantede but cnt afford? not sayin i would spend 5 k anytime in the near future, but it would be cool if i was rollin in the dough to get something super rare that no one else has. the traditional reason for docking ears an cropping tails is for fighting dogs(i dont agree with dog fighing), it is to keep them from bleeding out if they are bitten. ears an tails have a problem with coagulation. i dont practice any cropping practices on my curent dogs( one is a red nose pitbull) but i have cropped a pit i had in the past because he kept whacking it on the corner of the wall in our home. i came home one day an thought he had killed some burglar in the house because there was blood every where. i mean EVERY WHERE. not the case, he had just whacked it again really good an lost alot of blood that day. thats when we had to crop his tail.

Even if I was filty rich I wouldn't spend 5k on a single fish. I can't think of a fish out there that I would enjoy having enough to drop that sorta money on. I would most definatley build huge habitats and have some monsters like the 50k gallon tank apman has, but rich or not 5k is 5k. Rich don't stay rich by throwing it away. But I'm not rich so I don't know.

Agree with you on the bleeding though. I have a pit (undocked and uncropped) and a boxer/lab mix. They got into it once and it looked like a horror movie even though it was just a nick on the pits ear.

Not to toss this off track though, but both my dogs were rescues from different sources, yet they both have the same tattoo near where their junk used to be. The male zodiac symbol crossed out. Is this common?

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
the traditional reason for docking ears an cropping tails is for fighting dogs(i dont agree with dog fighing), it is to keep them from bleeding out if they are bitten. ears an tails have a problem with coagulation.
That's not entirely true. Hunting dogs often had tails cropped to keep them from being injured while out in the field. Many dogs that traditional have cropped ears was to make them look more ferocious, such as many guarding breeds. While some breed were docked/cropped for fighting, or baiting reasons, not all breeds were done for this reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store