Any smokers? Need advice.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I can't make her quit so I'm just trying to be supportive through this.
can not make somebody quite smoking or pretty much anything else. its a choice they need to make. they may choose to do it for you? but it needs to be there decision. 40 year smoker here. yes I still smoke.

Eyebedam

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
Makin a Poo
I've been using e-cigs for the last 3 years, I haven't touched a normal cigarette since & the smell of them make me wanna gag..
There are tons of types & juices to choose from..

image.jpg

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
I asked her about an e-cig. She is afraid it will keep her body used to it's usual amount of nicotine. She's trying to cut down but I doubt if she will ever want to quit completely.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I asked her about an e-cig. She is afraid it will keep her body used to it's usual amount of nicotine. She's trying to cut down but I doubt if she will ever want to quit completely.

at some point she's gonna have to take control of it. can't continue to make excuses and obstacles in your mind.

true, the convenience of smoking an ecig anywhere can cause you to smoke more often, but again, that's where the self control comes in.

being rid of the smell, cheaper than cigarettes, smoke anywhere (your living room, your bedroom, bathroom, car, etc), all these make it worth the switch imo

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Like pops said, it's a choice she needs to make man. You're doing all you can by being supportive, but ultimately it's her own self motivation to cut back or quit that will seal the deal.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I always carried food or gum around with me so when I felt the urge to smoke, I would eat or pop a piece. I work out religiously though so I didn't get fat from eating so much. A lot if my friends did though. This was after smoking 1 to 1-1/2 packs a day for 9 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I'm not sure about how to cut down, that would possibly be even more difficult than quitting because you still give into the urge to smoke. As for quitting, one very simple, but effective, way is to never carry cigarettes with you. Then when you NEED to smoke you make a decision. Do you drive to the store for that one cigarette and then throw the rest away, or do you just deal with the urge and move on? Almost every time the urge will pass before you get to the store, even if you were going to give in.

The hard part of quitting nicotine is because it is not only a habitual addiction, but also a chemical addiction. Your brain "needs" it to function, as well as getting a rush of endorphins when you smoke. The two of those combined is a tough combination to beat.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I quit cold turkey a few years ago. My wife quit cold a few months ago. I quit several times until it stuck the last time. Every time I tried to quit, made it easier to quit the next time. I could never "just smoke a few", or "just when I drink". I refused to take med's to quit. Smokers feel weak when they quit and go back to it. You need to tell her a) you think it's amazing that she can control such a powerful addiction and b) that you won't think any less of her if she can't manage quitting/lessening smoking the first try. Cause most people don't quit the first time they try--very low success rate first time. For me, I spent more time/effort thinking about quitting, psyching myself up about it, than I ever spent actually quitting. Quitting/managing addiction is a mind game you play with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store