Anybody ever eat a fish commonly kept in aquaria?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'd personally never eat any fish kept in a tank... I would think all the labels on water conditioner and meds saying "
not for fish used for human consumption"
Is warning enough for me....plus I'd think that they would be chewy and firm because of lack of a vast swimming area. Now if I was in another country where they were caught out of a river system or something or a lake....then we would be talking..

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'd think that they would be chewy and firm because of lack of a vast swimming area.
I think it would actually be the opposite. Lack of exercise should make muscle tissues softer

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Channel catfish is awesome fried. I've kept one butt didn't eat it for the reasons above.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Every summer when I visit my family in Brazil I eat plenty of fish commonly kept in aquariums. They are of course wild caught fish (I wouldn't eat a fish out of an aquarium). I've eaten RTC, TSN, pacus/ tambaqui, geophagus brasilensis, tilapia, Ageneiosus valenciennesi (not sure of English name for this fish), wolf fish, and even piranha stew.
Pacus/ tambaqui and geos taste like dirt. The catfish is really good as is wolf fish. Wolf fish has a lot of tiny bones though. I wasn't a fan of the piranha stew, it was prepared in the middle of the pantanal Forrest so maybe it would be better in a restaurant.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Most commonly fresh water fish are my country daily food sources, we have snakehead, giant catfish, clown knife fish....etc! After all they are food before they make it into fish hobby market :D (we even have arowana on our dining table too before it's got hot for export for good junk of money), still today snakehead (micro) and clown knife fish, tinfoil bard, snakehead fry and catfish still our main daily food source in the market.

sook9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
venezuela
peacocks also called pavones where i live,most of then can be found in the nearest lakes in venezuela and they taste good

Pavon.jpg
last year catch from my uncle

26232015.jpg

Pavon.jpg

26232015.jpg

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
Off the top of my head I've had:
Astronotus occelatus