Anyone ever get sick from their fish??

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Only dangers ive encountered in fish keeping are the fish themselves or prime. If prime falls on my skin it makes my skin start blistering and peeling. Like most here ive ingested my share of tank water either threw siphon starting, or fish splashing water daily in my face and in mouth during feedings and have put my slice of pizza down to gravel vac and kept eating during fill up. I also know a man that has spent his whoooole life (hes a biologist) dedicated to dealing, wading, netting, keeping, swimming in and doing other tasks involving acres and acres of pond water, and handled thousands of fish and species and he claims to have never ever gotten sick. Every time i go over there i swear im walking out with a fever lol. I have to walk bare foot in the water and 1 foot of what essentially is the muck that u see on your filter media :) and i have to step on millions of snails which break and the shards go in my skin, barely escaping death i would think lol.

I cant imagine being anymore worried about catching something from my fish tank than catching salmonella from a piece of chicken or kitchen counter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Haven't gotten sick from a water change. But anyone get hives/rashes on their arms? I've been feeding bloodworms to my african arowana for the past couple months and notice recently people obtaining rashes or hive due to allergies. I think this is what is causing my itchy arms after my waterchanges, lol! I need to get me the long gloves soon. Any testimonials here?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Sometimes ill get hives and itchyness after sticking my arm in the water. It only happens sometimes though. Don't know what triggers it. You know whats not fun? Having a rash from handling an anemone. I had to pluck one out once and i only felt like stickiness but afterwards the stung areas got red itchy and rash-y

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You should do a failed syphon of a snapping turtle tank......

Happened to me one. Allmost a litre into my gut....
Something i won't wish on my worst enemy.....

Aaarghh....still shudder.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Haven't gotten sick from a water change. But anyone get hives/rashes on their arms? I've been feeding bloodworms to my african arowana for the past couple months and notice recently people obtaining rashes or hive due to allergies. I think this is what is causing my itchy arms after my waterchanges, lol! I need to get me the long gloves soon. Any testimonials here?
That's a really common allergy. Don't know why.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I simply cannot touch the stuff. Goes direvtly to my eyes!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Nope, and I could also get hit by a truck walking out my front door.. everything we do has it's risks... but being aware there is even a risk is never a bad thing. ime clean cages = no health issues... dirty/filty/unkept cages are when people get sick from their pets no matter what the flavor.. also depends on your own immune system ect... for the average person and average hobbyist. Being "clean" isn't just for us... But also our pets and the whole familys health interests.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
gnats & mosquito bite reactions make me itch & swell real bad, so ANY bloodworms in water causes a rash. not so bad if I immediately wash with soap, but repeated days in a row it progressively worsens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store