Anyone into kung fu movies??

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I think the wire fu movies are the Croutching Tiger type stuff where they just take it too far with people flying over trees and landing on the tips of branches...I recommend The Kid with the Golden Arm,Five Deadly Venoms or anything else directed by Chang Cheh.
ok, got it, i don't mind wire fu as long as it's done right. you gotta go into those kinds of movies with the mindset that they are gonna do stuff like that.

jet li was the first person they asked to do crouching tiger but he turned it down. it's a shame too because he would've been way better. although chow yung fat did a great job too, he's not known for the martial arts stuff, his background is soap and using guns and stuff.

Ip Man, parts 1 and 2. I won't ever watch another martial arts movie again.
can you elaborate? do you mean ip man was so good that you never need to watch those kinds of movies ever again? or do you mean that they are so bad you would never wanna watch those kinds of movies ever again?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
^ Yeah, meaning it was such a good movie I don't think anything else can compare. Have you seen them? Great movies. On Netflix btw ;)

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
^ Yeah, meaning it was such a good movie I don't think anything else can compare. Have you seen them? Great movies. On Netflix btw ;)
seen the first one but on a chinese made dvd which has bad subtitles. the translation sucks, they translate word for word and not interpret so it's hard to understand. because of that i lost a lot of focus on the movie. but haven't seen part 2

i heard 2 was a bit overhyped, but who knows, i also heard it was badass. so i gotta see for myself.

i don't know, honestly, for me, ip man (at least part 1) was a bit overrated although i have to admit, i need to see it again given the circumstances of the first time around. donnie yen is a badass though man, and if it's not jet li playing that role he played, i'd say the only other person who can pull it off would be donnie

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
Thanks guys, you're all on it. Sumo, I just bought the first OUATIC, I liked it alot, but I bought a cheap used copy and didn't realize the copy I bought wasn't in english. Still good. Also just saw Kid With the Golden Arm, good, loved the 5 deadly venoms. When I saw Ip Man, I thought the same way as Jose. I thought it was so good I was afraid it was going to be all downhill from there, but I've found other stuff I really like. I love the real technical hand to hand brawls, weapons of course, and I LOOOOOVE the kung fu chicks!!! Keep the recomendations coming! More of my favorites include the 36 Chambers, Challenge of the Masters, yea alot of Gordon Liu stuff. I loved Lam Ching Yings performance in Prodigal Son, I want to see more of his stuff also.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
you know, i strongly recommend it to anyone to watch the movies with subtitles. i know it sucks to read, but when you watch a movie that is english dubbed, it's not the same.

they don't translate as well and a lot of stuff gets lost when dubbed. I always prefer to watch it in chinese with english subtitles. i've seen a lot of movies dubbed and with subtitles and subtitles are ALWAYS better

and fatcat, there are 6 OUATIC. if i'm not mistaken jet li is in 1, 2, 3, and 6. another guy plays the lead role in 4 and 5 but he's really good too.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
seen the first one but on a chinese made dvd which has bad subtitles. the translation sucks, they translate word for word and not interpret so it's hard to understand. because of that i lost a lot of focus on the movie. but haven't seen part 2

i heard 2 was a bit overhyped, but who knows, i also heard it was badass. so i gotta see for myself.

i don't know, honestly, for me, ip man (at least part 1) was a bit overrated although i have to admit, i need to see it again given the circumstances of the first time around. donnie yen is a badass though man, and if it's not jet li playing that role he played, i'd say the only other person who can pull it off would be donnie
In my case, it could be that I've never really been a huge fan of martial arts movies, mainly because the super tacky acting and cartoonish fight moves. So when I saw this one, I was hooked because it was more about the life story and drama of Ip Man instead of gung-ho Hollywood action scenes. I enjoy action scenes just as much as the next guy, but I enjoy a good plot and story even more.

And I hear ya about movies with subtitles! It doesn't bother me at all and they're some of the coolest. I love watching foreign films, particularly Latin American and Asian movies. Such a huge selection on Netflix. Have you signed up yet? :)

EDIT: And actually, I turn on subtitles for any movie I watch. The gf hates it!

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
kung fu panda, karate kid,

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
you know, i strongly recommend it to anyone to watch the movies with subtitles. i know it sucks to read, but when you watch a movie that is english dubbed, it's not the same.

they don't translate as well and a lot of stuff gets lost when dubbed. I always prefer to watch it in chinese with english subtitles. i've seen a lot of movies dubbed and with subtitles and subtitles are ALWAYS better

and fatcat, there are 6 OUATIC. if i'm not mistaken jet li is in 1, 2, 3, and 6. another guy plays the lead role in 4 and 5 but he's really good too.
Thanks Sumo, I watch every movie a few times with the subtittles on. Sometimes it clears things up for me, sometimes it doesn't. Like in OUATIC, why is the the leading ladys name Aunt 13? Who has a number for a name? I know I must be missing something. I thought she was beautiful, I was hoping she'd bust some kung fu, but no :(

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Thanks Sumo, I watch every movie a few times with the subtittles on. Sometimes it clears things up for me, sometimes it doesn't. Like in OUATIC, why is the the leading ladys name Aunt 13? Who has a number for a name? I know I must be missing something. I thought she was beautiful, I was hoping she'd bust some kung fu, but no :(
lol, her name is actually siu-kwon in the movie. and she is called 13th aunt because her father is a sworn brother of wong's (jet li's character) grandfather which makes her his elder actually. so in traditional chinese culture, he calls her aunt out of respect. and it's actually like a taboo for them to be dating. but the number 13 may just mean that there are 12 older ones. but their characters are not blood related.

and you're absolutely right, i have to watch movies a few times to get everything as well. you never catch all the details the first time around

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
In my case, it could be that I've never really been a huge fan of martial arts movies, mainly because the super tacky acting and cartoonish fight moves. So when I saw this one, I was hooked because it was more about the life story and drama of Ip Man instead of gung-ho Hollywood action scenes. I enjoy action scenes just as much as the next guy, but I enjoy a good plot and story even more.

And I hear ya about movies with subtitles! It doesn't bother me at all and they're some of the coolest. I love watching foreign films, particularly Latin American and Asian movies. Such a huge selection on Netflix. Have you signed up yet? :)

EDIT: And actually, I turn on subtitles for any movie I watch. The gf hates it!
haven't signed up yet, i think i'm gonna do it this weekend. ip man will definitely be one of the first movies i watch. i'm gonna watch part1 again before watching part 2 though. now that i think about it, i kind of screwed myself not really watching it correctly the first time. i'll check back when i see both of them

i know a lot of people like you, never really been a martial arts movie person but loved ip man. it's crazy, ip man totally made some people into martial arts movie fans and i had coworkers praising that movie and loving martial arts movies and i'm like, dude, that was me like 15 years ago, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store