Anyone into kung fu movies??

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
As big a martial arts movie buff as I am I have not seen any of the Ip Man films yet.I have coworkers who actually practice martial arts rave about it..My problem with sub titles is that usually they remove or change tem before I have a chance to finish reading and sometimes the letters are too faint.....A good film actionwise but a little light hearted is Kung Fu Hustle.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
i have kung fu hustle, i think it's a great kung fu comedy. good story, good actors, very enjoyable.

have you seen shaolin soccer? it's the same main character

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have not seen it but I remember seeing previews of it a few years back.I think it came out before Hustle.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
yes it came out before hustle, it's got the same type of humor. they actually made the movie shortly after shaolin soccer proved to be a hit. it's got a couple of the same actors. the axe gang leader in hustle is one of the good guys in shaolin soccer. he's the goalie and he's actually the guy that plays bruce lee in the chinese tv series. in the soccer movie he sports the yellow jumpsuit with the black stripe and acts like bruce lee, lol

what i like about hustle is that they used a bunch of old school actors and make a lot of references to previous chinese and american movies. it's a brilliant film.

and just a couple of trivia, in ip man 2, they were originally going to focus a big part of the movie about ip man and his relationship with bruce lee. but that got changed because they couldn't come to terms with bruce lee's family, bummer. so young bruce only got a quick part in the end i believe.

also in karate kid 3, terry, the bad guy with the pony tail who is a vietnam vet buddy of kreese, is actually younger than ralph machio (ck sp) in real life. that's crazy, in the movie daniel san looks like a teenager and terry looks like a grown ass man.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was never into the slapstick type of stuff that Jackie Chan and Samo Hung were known for so I was not in a rush to see Soccer when it came out.I don't remember what prompted me to give Hustle a try but I'm glad I did as different as it was.It turned out to be one of my favorite recent martial arts films ..I'll have to give Soccer a try now....Have you seen the other films I mentioned? They are old but my all time favorites.

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
Not Fu but Sonny Chiba was pretty cool.
I bought an old Jackie Chan movie last nite, (To Kill With Intrigue, remastered "platinum" edition for $1, SCORE!) there is a guy in the movie who looks like Sonny Chiba and in the fight scenes he looks like he's doing karate, not kung fu. Do you know if that's him? That's one of the few gripes I do have, is the credits. You get two names in english, the rest is written in chinese, so it's hard to figure out who's who. Anyway, I thought the movie was great, especially for what i paid. It's one of the few Jackie Chan I've seen I really like. Jackie is an awesome martial artist, but sometimes the humor in his films distracts me. Actually what really sealed the deal for me was Hsu Feng. She's a female kung fu artist and she's bad!
Anyway, can you recommend some of Sonnys great movies? I know there is a movie where he plays opposite Kurata Yusaki (Fist of Legend), I thought Kurata was great in FOL, so I'm guessing it should be good. Thanks

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I watch a lot of kung fu movies and really anything of the nature, I ve seen almost everything listed in this thread and other random movies. I would also agree that Ip Man is a good watch. I own kung fu hustle, shaolin soccer, Ip Man and ong bak in chinese dvd with subtitle... I enjoyed them all a lot. I gotta find more to add to my collection. I watch most of my stuff off of netflix as well

fatcat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2008
SoCal
You gotta see the Ip Man! Great story, great kung fu action, I liked the first one more, the western boxing in the second one was kind of a turn off for me. (but seeing the OGs was really cool for me)You will be fine watching either movie without subtittles, everything is pretty clear. Again, I'll recommend The Prodigal Son. I've only owned it about a month, but have seen it about 100 times already. I know what you mean about Sammo and Jackies humor being different, (especially Sammo, he has kind of a warped sense of humor) but I think this movie is pretty funny. If you don't get a laugh out of the humor, I know the kung fu will make you say, " Daaaaaaamn!" The two characters I really liked were Yee Tai and the Prince. Both have KILLER fight scenes! I think Lam Ching Ying's Wing Chun was way better than Donnie's in Ip Man. I don't think Donnie had the grace or portrayed the power that LCY did in that movie. The Prince was played by I believe Frankie Chan, Awesome kung fu also, not sure of the style, I heard it called Dragon Style something, but that sounded a little generic.
I heard Gordon Liu and Sonny Chiba were in Kill Bill 1 &2. I haven't seen either, I heard it was pretty bloody. Anyone have any feedback on that movie?

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
Ip Man and Ip Man 2 are INCREDIBLE! I grew up on Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon so that's one of my all time favorites. Ip Man 3 is a prequel and I couldn't get past the first 10 min :(. I'm really into anime now so Naruto Shipuuden, Bleach, Soul Eater, FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood all have incredible fighting and storylines...
Favorite actors are:
Bruce Lee
Jet Li
Donnie Yen

Maybe not in that order...

wtf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
cincinnati
Who the master?!?! Show nuf!! classic.

Old School favorite. Drunken Master. Fun to watch Jackie Chan create his own style just for a movie.

[video=youtube;mvyilO0HQ9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvyilO0HQ9Q[/video]

New School favorite. Hero. Great story.

[video=youtube;gAmerZ71Wo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmerZ71Wo8[/video]

btw Shaolin Soccer is about the cheesiest movie ever.....but when it is on i cant stop watching.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store