tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
Buckdog;1491093; said:
Thanx everyone.

Supposedly the old GE-012A and the GE1 are the same. I read somewhere that they removed the "aquarium safe" off the label because of legal reasons and it was being co-branded out to other re-packers. Same for the GE RTV-108. I've used the 108 in non aquarium projects and that stuff doesnt play around - it's serious.

I'd still like to try the Wacker and Perennator.

From another forum:

from GE about GE I:

DISCLAIMER: THE MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS OF THE BUSINESSES MAKING UP THE GE PLASTICS UNIT OF GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES (GEP), ARE SOLD SUBJECT TO GEPS STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE, WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN THE APPLICABLE DISTRIBUTOR OR OTHER SALES AGREEMENT, PRINTED ON THE BACK OF ORDER ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND INVOICES, AND AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. ALTHOUGH ANY INFORMATION, RECOMMENDATIONS, OR ADVICE CONTAINED HEREIN IS GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH, GEP MAKES NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, (I) THAT THE RESULTS DESCRIBED HEREIN WILL BE OBTAINED UNDER END-USE CONDITIONS, OR (II) AS TO THE EFFECTIVENESS OR SAFETY OF ANY DESIGN INCORPORATING GEP MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, RECOMMENDATIONS OR ADVICE. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN GEPS STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE, GEP AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES SHALL IN NO EVENT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM ANY USE OF ITS MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS DESCRIBED HEREIN. Each user bears full responsibility for making its own determination as to the suitability of GEPs materials, products, recommendations, or advice for its own particular use. Each user must identify and perform all tests and analyses necessary to assure that its finished parts incorporating GEP materials or products will be safe and suitable for use under end-use conditions. Nothing in this or any other document, nor any oral recommendation or advice, shall be deemed to alter, vary, supersede

We don't recommend any of our products for underwater submersion, but some aquarium manufacturers do choose to use our products on glass to glass aquariums. The products they use most often are RTV108 or IS808. These are industrial grade products. Our consumer grade (this means they would be found at Home Depot or a local hardware store) offset to these industrial grade products is GE012A (Window and Door Silicone I).

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
gomezladdams;1485812; said:
Ive used ge type 1 window and door for many tanks.Its my preferred sealant for clarity and strength.I used AGA sealant on my 125g and did not like the results,thoght it was more difficult to get a clean bead,and its cloudier.I have one tank that was made for me almiost 20 years ago at a glass shop,would love to know what he used,tank has been dry for years at a time and seal is still perfect.
Weird I was under the impression that the AGA silicone was GE1.......

Any possibility it was an old tube? A lot of people do not realize they have a shelf life and an expiration date printed on each tube.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
tezr;1491631; said:
Weird I was under the impression that the AGA silicone was GE1.......

Any possibility it was an old tube? A lot of people do not realize they have a shelf life and an expiration date printed on each tube.
The AGA might be. I thought so too.

I know that the GE RTV-108 is clear and the RTV-103 is black. Difficult to get the 103.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Dr Joe;1491210; said:
???:( We really need type # or something to identify it with.

How about a pic of the tube?

Kinda sure if it's brought into the U.S. & it's not on Johnptc list or mine there's a problem with it. :D

Dr Joe

it doesnt have a type number the name and type is ge construction and then the less stronger ge contractor

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
pfff ur not the best just because of ur post counts. u know ur stuff but that dont mean anything just because u or ptc havnt heard of it. place ive worked for he has built 30,000 tanks in over 12 years and he says that geconstruction is the strongest and that all the other glues he has stopped using because he has constantly recieve bad batches. hes used 5 other brands and although ge silicone has the occaisonal slip up at least he doesnt have to pay 10,000 to his customers cause hhehas made huge tanks from other silicones and had a garuntee on em.(even though insurance covers him)

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Never said I was because of post counts :D.

Why would post counts have any thing to do with experience? There are 12 yr olds on here with higher post counts than I. 45+ yrs of education and experience building and resealing tanks is another story!

Now back to the silicone, is it...

scs1201
scs2000
GE 1200
rtv110

These are just a few responses gotten from the GE search engine when using construction in the search.

He has to order it by a part number of some sort.

Is it something that's only available in AUS?

Dr Joe

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
and how many tanks have either of you built???? combined wont match this dude who has been in the hobby fer over 30+ years building tanks fer 15 and comerciall building fer 12. at one point he was the first person to use a recirculating filtration system on his fish tanks in brisbane and had more sophisticated setups then fish shops that werre using sand filters

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
amehel0;1500343; said:
and how many tanks have either of you built???? combined wont match this dude who has been in the hobby fer over 30+ years building tanks fer 15 and commercial building fer 12. at one point he was the first person to use a recirculating filtration system on his fish tanks in brisbane and had more sophisticated setups then fish shops that werre using sand filters
:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill: all i said was my personal preference was dow corning...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store