Aquarium silicone sealant comparisons

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
:chillpill: Nobody ever said your boss wasn't the tank building god of AUS...All I wanted to know was the specific part number :ROFL:.

If he's got a company email address I'd be happy to explain the situation and ask him myself :D.

Does he keep Monsters, maybe he should be a member here, I'm sure he'd be welcome.

Dr Joe

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
yeh but u go on about if u havnt heard of it then its obviously no good. thats a arrogant thing to say. hell i aint saying my boss is the best all i was saying is that years in the hobby as a fishkeeper dont mean crap about howgood you are at buildng tanks. its how long and how many youve built

mark93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Australia
my 500 g was mad out of GE construction amehelo your boss can not be that good he says building a all glass 500g is impossible when mine is my mates is and i have another mate who has an all glass tank over 700 g.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
What the??? What happened here?

After a pretty cool Sunday I have dinner, fed the avatar to the left, got a cold one and sat down in front of my computer for a minute to see if anything new has come up on the thread I started. To my surprise I find out that folks are firing silicone cannons all over the place (what a visual, pirate ships and all).

Folks, I started this thread not only because I wanted to see what other people were using to construct their tanks with but knowing that countless novice and not-so-novice folks are continuously trying to find out what to use in their tanks. You see it on almost all the fishkeeping forums all the time. Some folks cant even get decent silicone where they live.

The intention was that someone in some part of the world will see this, maybe recognize a cross match and be able to use it. And/or some recommendations will evolve over the life of the thread.

I ask please that we keep this in mind if we continue the thread, at least for the benefit of those folks junior to the hobby.

Remember, this is MFK. This is the best. Let's keep it that way.

Thanx.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
amehel0;1503385; said:
yeh but u go on about if u havnt heard of it then its obviously no good. thats a arrogant thing to say. hell i aint saying my boss is the best all i was saying is that years in the hobby as a fishkeeper dont mean crap about howgood you are at buildng tanks. its how long and how many youve built

Don't mis-quote me " Kinda sure if it's brought into the U.S. & it's not on Johnptc list or mine there's a problem with it. :D" Didn't say it was "no good".

Never said my experience was just "in the hobby as a fishkeeper".

And your very wrong about "dont mean crap about how good you are at building tanks. its how long and how many you've built" build 20,000 bad tanks and that's the kind of experience you have.

Hope you can get a part number so we can add it to Buckdog list.

And now on with the quest for the perfect silicone adhesive/sealer...

Buckdog do a search in the DIY area as this has been at least partially attempted before and the other files may help.

If we can get a good enough list together, we'll make it a sticky for all time.

Dr Joe

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
i used GE Silicone II door and window on my 518 gallon and it worked awsome, so far no problems and hoping none in the future, i had it filled outside withe goldfish in it just as a test to see if it would hold water and the filters worked good and everything and it worked beautifully

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Dr Joe;1504017; said:
Don't mis-quote me " Kinda sure if it's brought into the U.S. & it's not on Johnptc list or mine there's a problem with it. :D" Didn't say it was "no good".

Never said my experience was just "in the hobby as a fishkeeper".

And your very wrong about "dont mean crap about how good you are at building tanks. its how long and how many you've built" build 20,000 bad tanks and that's the kind of experience you have.

Hope you can get a part number so we can add it to Buckdog list.

And now on with the quest for the perfect silicone adhesive/sealer...

Buckdog do a search in the DIY area as this has been at least partially attempted before and the other files may help.

If we can get a good enough list together, we'll make it a sticky for all time.

Dr Joe

Not much so far in initial seach. My time online today is limited by other endeavors. I found this interesting in post #12 however:http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17453&highlight=silicone+sealer&page=2

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
I am going to be using Dow Corning 732, if DC 832 were available in clear than I would be using that with out a doubt.

The 832 is so far the strongest silicone product that is suitable for use in aquariums and will adhere to glass. The tensile strength of the 832 is 350 psi and will elongate 420% before yielding; but is only available in black, grey and off-white.

732 is available in black white and clear with a tensile strength of 334 psi and will elongate 540% before yielding

For reference the GE 1 silicone and Dow corning 791 and other similar products have a tensile strength of 120 psi and will elongate 50% before yielding

Do your homework and come to your own conclusions, all of these companies publish this information online

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store