Attn MMA Fans - UFC 151 Cancelled because Hendo is injured

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Honestly, Jones should have taken the Chael fight. If Chael's willing to save the card against one of the best in world, why not? As a champion Jones shouldn't hide from any challengers, especially for Chaels first fight at 205lbs.
Chael didn't earn the shot, but anyone who steps up like that deserves some credit. Dude's got cajones.
Jones is too worried about his legacy to risk it and I think that's the wrong mentality.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
If Jones avoided the fight since he only had 8 days notice I call BS. Sonnen only had 8 days notice as well, and if Sonnen had suspected he might fight Jones so he started training earlier then he would have an advantage, except that he is jumping up a weight class short notice to take the fight anyhow.

Jones flat out said he didnt want to fight Machida again also. I know he can build a strong case as to why, but I think he needs to fight, after all it is his job. So many other fighters take fights on only a few days notice and they take any fighter they put in front of him. If you want to be the champ, defend your belt

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
saw somewhere that Dana said Bones is the first champ to duck a fight

and bones is fighting machida again. i personally did not wanna see this fight yet but, what you gonna do?

dammit Hendo!

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Yeah I'm not excited about the machida v jones rematch either. I know jones doesnt need to fight him since he's already beat him but who else can they send right now?

I just dont get why sonnen was even an option unless he was the only one who would take the fight on such short notice. Looking at that, and the immediate rematches of Edgar v Penn and Edgar v B Henderson I think they need to quit fast-tracking guys to title shots that lose. At least make them win one or two before giving them the re-match

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I just realized that posting right after you made me stupid sumo haha :thumbsup:

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Yeah I'm not excited about the machida v jones rematch either. I know jones doesnt need to fight him since he's already beat him but who else can they send right now?

I just dont get why sonnen was even an option unless he was the only one who would take the fight on such short notice. Looking at that, and the immediate rematches of Edgar v Penn and Edgar v B Henderson I think they need to quit fast-tracking guys to title shots that lose. At least make them win one or two before giving them the re-match
there's a lot of reasons why sonnen was the first option. with dan out, they need someone who will draw in the ppv's and fill seats. quick rematches are usually only made immediately if there was some kind of contraversy or if it was a really close fight.

and yea, machida is the best option right now since jones turned down sonnen. there's at least a couple guys i'd like to see fight jones but they are too unknown and need to be put in the spot light first for some exposure. gustufsen and texierra. gus may get his chance if he beats shogun in dec and texierra will be closer if he beats rampage.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Yeah i agree with you, but like you said, both gustofsen or texierra need to beat the contenders to get a title shot. I will say though, that picking sonnen was purely for ratings. His last fight against silva was neither close nor controversial. He is known, he talks a big game so they give him the opportunity to fight. Dont get me wrong, i have been a big sonnen fan since his paulo filhio fights in the WEC and he can back his talk, but I think trying to cram him in now was a mistake and a huge FU to the lhw class. A moot point anyhow since it isnt happening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store