Axolotl

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Frank Castle Frank Castle i have over 4200 gal in house on autodrip lol... pre filtration would b the death of me. my electric and water bill is already at $350-500 a month :/

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
havent had a need for any pre filtration yet on my drip lines for any of my specimen... i breed rays also and all is well so far for 3 yrs now... for my whole house drip im using 33gph so id be burning through hma's/sediment filters far 2 quick for comfort at 20-25k gal a month. I understand the risks and would like to add carbon/sediment eventually. Ive read axos dont do well with chlorine...but at .5gph for 65 gallons its like rain drops in the ocean so to speak. Not like there gettin bombed with straight tap water from a 50% change weekly, the exchange rate of water is minimial but beneficial. Theyve been tied into my drip lines for 4 months now no problems. Their condition has improved greatly from my 1st month with them on standard manual changes with aged wated.
it will take years before you start seeing effects and it will cut their life span in half. Chlorine and chloramine should be non-existent in water for amphibians. I only say this because I learned this lesson the hard way from experience. This is why I don't have either of my Tiger Salamanders anymore....................

.......and they were fully morphed adults that barely WENT in the water as they got older. I IMPLORE you lol.....figure out a way to dechlorinate their water, dude....I know you love them, I don't want you to have to go through what I did. I lost a stunning pair cuz of that. All amphibians are very susceptible to chlorine/chloramine poisoning and I think they may handle ammonia spikes WORSE than fish do. Both cause "chemical burns" to the gills, but even on gill-less specimens, the skin absorbs toxins rapidly. This is why amphibians have been disappearing at an alarming rate for the past 20 years - we are polluting their habitats

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Def. on my "to do list" Frank Castle Frank Castle , i appreciate the info and first hand experience. I agree ive prob been lucky thus far. I'd like to atleast add on pre-carbon on the drip lines. Thinking of converting a 4-5' water softner tank full of carbon opposed to the small r.o. type cartridges usually used for this purpose.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Def. on my "to do list" Frank Castle Frank Castle , i appreciate the info and first hand experience. I agree ive prob been lucky thus far. I'd like to atleast add on pre-carbon on the drip lines. Thinking of converting a 4-5' water softner tank full of carbon opposed to the small r.o. type cartridges usually used for this purpose.
I'm sure you'll figure something cool out lol just wanted to make it a point how bad those 3 toxins are to amphibians and it sucks when it finally sets in after years of build-up and at that point it's too late and there's nothing you can do.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Theres always room for improvement in this hobby :) ... ive learned that well over the years to never be satisfied with my husbandry lol...

Reactions: Frank Castle

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If i grow floating plants for cover and flow dispersion would 10% water change every 2 days?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If i grow floating plants for cover and flow dispersion would 10% water change every 2 days?
Plant filtration is also very beneficial if u have enough plants 2 actually clean the water. I ran an aquaponics system for a cple years with koi and bog plants. All i had 2 do was top off the system from eveporation. i may have water changed 1-2 times a year lol... sounds crazy but it worked and the koi did well. the plants got out of control. So yeah, ur proposed plan could work no prob. Axos really dont need much if any filtration if u change their water every day and remove all waste. Even with my autodrip system i still vaccum out debris, keeps them cleaner. U could do that daily 1-2 gallons without plants and be fine. Id like to add some water lettuce to my system actually but im worried itell take over/clog my drains.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have a 80l aqua system now, busy with a 400, I might even make a mini one with the axo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store