Barramundi - Seafood Market Rescue

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Sup mfk'ers long time no post! At $8.99 a lb picked up a pretty sweet barramundi for $17 bucks!
Here he is at the market https://youtube.com/shorts/pzc1BcYFhtc?si=G7dcwThp62kCwxaf now living large in the 150g...
Already looking forward to feeding this stud probably wait a couple days let him get used to the new digs.
Chilling in brackish now with a few conches hope he leaves them alone but i doubt it.

IMG_3804.jpg
IMG_3806.jpg

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Assuming you're not in Aus because of the tilapia.

Should heal up allright, might still have some skin damage. I'd also personally run some dewormer/parasite.

Bloody thing is covered in ammonia burns. That eye will probably stay cloudy forever.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Assuming you're not in Aus because of the tilapia.

Should heal up allright, might still have some skin damage. I'd also personally run some dewormer/parasite.

Bloody thing is covered in ammonia burns. That eye will probably stay cloudy forever.
yep here in the states. tilapia are banned in AUS? dang that's wild but you guys have way better fish varieties anyway!
yeah he's a mess but I hope it'll heal up i've had fish that had cloudy eye and healed but you may be right getting this guy back to "good" aquarium health will just be a process. gonna be fun to feed this guy though they pretty much eat anything so maybe he'll take medicated foods better vs other fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ah, takes me back to the good old days of saving animals from Asian supermarkets.I've brought home a turtle or two as well as a few fish and I can still recall the expression on the employee's face when I told him that I wanted to take the fish home alive lol.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Ah, takes me back to the good old days of saving animals from Asian supermarkets.I've brought home a turtle or two as well as a few fish and I can still recall the expression on the employee's face when I told him that I wanted to take the fish home alive lol.
the homie fishmonger could barely speak english the whole time he was literally asking me if i wanted him cleaned, had to grab the manager and after a very long 2 minutes out of the water they got him in a cooler. that was stressful af but so worth it!

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Day 3 of the chosen one looks like he's gonna be a stunner!

IMG_3839.jpg

A little melafix and normal water temperature has him gaining back to strength day by day.

Here he is today just hanging out by the water flow -

Fin damage will be at least a few weeks but some fish keepers intentionally split the fins as it gets more vibrant when it grows back.
All of those arowanas you see with fan-tail fins were intentionally/unintentionally split at one point.

Scales will also be fine in time.
He's only 1.9 lbs now so by the time he grows another 1" or so longer new scale growth will be healthy & any damage now should be all healed up.

I tried feeding him yesterday night but he didn't accept it (piece of salmon) but he was interested in the scent.
He's probably farm raised so maybe all they gave him was fish meal so once he figures out I'm here to feed him and not hurt him he should start to gain a little weight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Looks like the Barra is coming along nicely and good to see that it's eyes have cleared up,I didn't think that they would.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Thx K krichardson it's still cloudy but definitely on the right track. If i could do it over i'd be more picky & ask for the healthiest one but i really couldn't even tell how bad they were until i got home. Some of the other barramundi looked a little less beat up & prob would've been a better choice, already thinking about next time i purchase lol.

Check out his 1st feeding session from earlier with a raw shrimp -

He chomped on it for a good minute but may have been distracted by the shell and went in on it for a second attempt.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store