Barramundi - Seafood Market Rescue

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good stuff,glad it's started to eat now,and speaking of,although it's belly isn't sunken it probably hasn't eaten in quite a while.I doubt if the fishmongers feed them at all while they are packed in those market tanks!

Reactions: Bonytang

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Cool thread, saving fish from supermarkets might not be the best idea objectively or financially but I always found the idea intriguing. And Barras are definitely cool fish :)

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Cool thread, saving fish from supermarkets might not be the best idea objectively or financially but I always found the idea intriguing. And Barras are definitely cool fish :)
Thank u bro! He's def a cool fish chomping on huge prawns & watching netflix while all his buddies are getting chef'd up!

I won't be the 1st in line at a PETA rally but yep it was more of an impulse buy since my tank was empty so i was just crossing my fingers he'd make it.
At $17 bucks there was no risk and he 100% would've been served w/ rice within the next week so i call it a win - win scenario for all parties involved.

If i posted this thread without mentioning it was a market rescue it would have just been about quarantine & fish recovery but yeah who wants to read about that stuff.. and a barra this size would be pretty expensive so the only ppl hating are prolly those that over paid for one or sell fish.

He's the only fish in a 150g so there's nobody to contaminate if he had parasites + i'm keeping him in 1.020 salinity so with the salt environment he'll be winning beauty contests left & right in no time, maybe i can resell him for a couple hundo!

Saltwater osmosis can help heal fish wounds in a few ways:
  • Dehydrates microbes
    Salt has an antiseptic effect on open wounds. Salt forces liquid in cells to move out of the body, including bacteria.
  • balances salt concentration
    Osmosis seeks to balance the salt concentration on each side of a fish's skin or membrane. This can help suck water out of bacteria, fungus, or parasites.
I googled all this stuff after seeing him heal up so fast so salt in any treatment i'd give a thumbs up.

But heck yeah i'd prolly do it again + i'd still get fish from shops & online, nothing wrong with either.
there's an old wise saying that goes something like ~ CATCH FISH NOT FEELINGS :asianarow

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Quick update after 5wks and our boy is looking 100%
With a few doses of melafix & 3 shrimp a day he's has no more cloudy eyes, zero scale burn, & no fin damage.

He lives with about 45 snails, 60 hermit crabs, a feather duster, & 1 sand sifting conch. The other conch didn't get eaten but just didn't make it.
May get him a cleaner wrasse tank mate and other oddball inverts, condy anemone or something simple/nothing too demanding w/ salt range at least.
But yeah he leaves all the clean up crew alone as they're not really meal worthy for his size + even hangs out w/the conch at one oh his fav spots whenever it's daylight. Sometimes he tries to hide behind the live rock but as soon as i motion to feed he'll pop out real quick.

The cleaner wrasse will be great but will prob just start out with 1 or 2 and see how they do..

Can you believe he started from this -

IMG_3834.jpg

and now looks like this!

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

Week 3 update -

Week 5 update just uploaded yesterday -

Feeding more shrimp update -

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Quick update after 5wks and our boy is looking 100%
With a few doses of melafix & 3 shrimp a day he's has no more cloudy eyes, zero scale burn, & no fin damage.

He lives with about 45 snails, 60 hermit crabs, a feather duster, & 1 sand sifting conch. The other conch didn't get eaten but just didn't make it.
May get him a cleaner wrasse tank mate and other oddball inverts, condy anemone or something simple/nothing too demanding w/ salt range at least.
But yeah he leaves all the clean up crew alone as they're not really meal worthy for his size + even hangs out w/the conch at one oh his fav spots whenever it's daylight. Sometimes he tries to hide behind the live rock but as soon as i motion to feed he'll pop out real quick.

The cleaner wrasse will be great but will prob just start out with 1 or 2 and see how they do..

Can you believe he started from this -

View attachment 1537225

and now looks like this!

View attachment 1537226

View attachment 1537227

Week 3 update -

Week 5 update just uploaded yesterday -

Feeding more shrimp update -
Wow outstanding Barramundi looks great.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Wow! Need to start paroozing Asian markets for live fish

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
thx tlindsey tlindsey the difference is night & day he was literally on the verge of death in the photos!
the first week or so a couple scales would fall off here & there every day so it was like he was shedding new skin almost.
would def get another barra down the road but looking at it now the one i have pretty much just eats shrimp and went through 1.5 bags or so per month so that's like $30+ so a second barra would hit me at $60 a month in shrimp haha.

...+ going back to the market tmw i hope i don't end up getting an eel or another barra, but they had some Sole the other day & was prety tempted.
lots of tilapia usually but i'm sure you can find something more unique if you look around Kayden Kayden ! always cool inverts but just waiting till i spot a snapper or grouper or something in that ballpark.

i'll make a thread on some jellyfish i kept for a while but i didn't get them at the supermarket. they were from FL from a diver & got them for like $10 each + $40 shipping total $80 for 4 and those wre pretty sick...

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store