Barramundi - Seafood Market Rescue

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
thanks Americancichlidsaredabest Americancichlidsaredabest i was worried about that too but i guess that's what we'll name him! ~ "iCloud"
i was thinking about barry, ramon, or mandy but those are most likely already names for other barras already!

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Have you tried tossing in a pellet or two with the shrimp during feeding time?
yep but no dice. the scent gets him super excited but he'll attack it, nose it, then just end up letting it go to the bottom for the hermit crabs.
i also bought a bag of catfish nuggets that were on sale for like $5 for a bag the same size as the shrimp but he only eats it if i starved him.
at first i left the shells on the shrimp too but i see he sometimes spits it out so now i just remove the shell & cut into 2-3 pieces so he gets a total of about 10 to 12 pieces a day (3-4 shrimp) for now but most other barra eats pretty much anything so getting him on variety is gonna be a fun challenge.

that's what i'm most scared of too about getting another tankmate.. at this point i'd consider this guy "reef safe" as he hasn't been introduced to eat inverts/or is too big to see them as a meal, but with another fish i may not be as lucky as usually most big fish eat crabs & snails too.

he's at the size now where he needs to eat a few times a day but when he gets maybe another 6" i'm thinking he may only need to eat 2x a week or less.
..even maybe get him on some like frozen bait fish!

Reactions: tlindsey

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I'm impressed how well he looks now. Good on you. Never kept them before but looks to be a fairly personable fish. I hope you enjoy.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I'm impressed how well he looks now. Good on you. Never kept them before but looks to be a fairly personable fish. I hope you enjoy.
Thanks man! Yep definitely a character. Best part about keeping barra is watching all the youtube videos on them, from fishing, fish keeping, & even cooking recipes there's literally unlimited stuff to learn about them. Definitely try them out if you have tank space + from what i've seen so far they make good tank mates for both fresh & salt aquariums. *Except for one video where i saw a guy start out with a few dozen baby barra then they all just ate each other & by the end of the video he was down to like around less than 10 lol. I had a barra a long time ago but this one was just in impulse buy + if you're in an area with a few asian markets you might have more fish variety selections than around me.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
You got me looking around on the net, check this out! Barramundi farm
Heck yeah those farms are legit! I stumbled across an article that showed fish farms in Arizona & Iowa that do some barramundi aquaculture here in US. I bet most of the ones we see from the market are prob exactly like that one you posted from. In another vid i saw the breeding facility I think in Australia probably that was separating the albino and the other oddball barra. I'm willing to bet the ones we see in the hobby are most likely from those batches and from other fish farms that do selective breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store