BD male or pair galaxy?

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
Depends on what your preference is p-13 or p-14. Do not get a ray because it is what someone else likes. They both are nice.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
thats right, my next question was whether the BD in the pic I posted is a pure BD or not, I am not an expert on rays specially there so many hybrids floating around in Asian market these days.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
No way to tell other than bloodline, though to my understanding BD includes 3 rows of spotting, and significant belly spotting, a high quality p13 leo if you will. From the outside yours looks like it is a BD. Whatever looks best to you is what you should get, you are the one that has to look at them. I'd take the 2 p14's as I already have 3 leo's (2 BD and the non BD looks even better than the BD to me).

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I feel, suspicious about that Black Diamond as I had a BD x Leo which looks very similar...

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
No way to tell other than bloodline, though to my understanding BD includes 3 rows of spotting, and significant belly spotting, a high quality p13 leo if you will. From the outside yours looks like it is a BD. Whatever looks best to you is what you should get, you are the one that has to look at them. I'd take the 2 p14's as I already have 3 leo's (2 BD and the non BD looks even better than the BD to me).
you are right, it would be better to see the parents directly, however the fish is not in my area yet, I would ask the local vendor for more pictures. It does look like a pure bd, just like some of wc bd pics that I looked at in this forum, but thats just my thought,..

I feel, suspicious about that Black Diamond as I had a BD x Leo which looks very similar...
at once I felt the same, there are leoxbd that has lots of spots close to bd, would you like to post some pics of your ray just for comparison? thanks

meanwhile, whats everybody else think of that bd pic I posted? cheers

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
BD or a standard Leo here. P14s dont do it for me, do not care how common or uncommon they are. Its about what appeals to you, in your tank. Not everyone else.

The pic you posted looks pure but no one will ever know unless you know lineage. Heck Ive seen BD/Hens that look better than pure high quality BDs.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay I am going to go out on a limb here but I though black diamond was just a term to describe a high quality leo, one with belly spotting and 3 rows of spots. It's still a p13, or leopoldi, just a higher grade due mostly to captive breeding. here i'm not understanding how you can have leoxbd. If a leo has pups with a bd, if the pup is bd would be determined on its quality, it will always be a leo but has a chance to be bd? Same with two bd producing 2 rows of spots and not much belly spotting, or weak body spotting, still a bd? In sum, if the leo looks good it's a bd, if you are intent on a bd bloodline that's all it will be, but it's still always a leo. Am I wrong on this one guys? Someone explained it to me like this once. Like technically can't two p13 leo produce a black diamond pup, a high quality one? I always thought p12=henlei, p13=leo, p14=thousand island, any other attached terms just describe visual quality.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
I though the male gen would be dominant in cross breed, no? the image below is taken from this forum, and I think it makes more sense. And I guess, even the low quality (cheaper) BD, those with smaller spots but still has 3 rows of spots could still be considered BD. Thts just my opinion..

IMG_00001370.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store