BD male or pair galaxy?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Okay I am going to go out on a limb here but I though black diamond was just a term to describe a high quality leo, one with belly spotting and 3 rows of spots. It's still a p13, or leopoldi, just a higher grade due mostly to captive breeding. here i'm not understanding how you can have leoxbd. If a leo has pups with a bd, if the pup is bd would be determined on its quality, it will always be a leo but has a chance to be bd? Same with two bd producing 2 rows of spots and not much belly spotting, or weak body spotting, still a bd? In sum, if the leo looks good it's a bd, if you are intent on a bd bloodline that's all it will be, but it's still always a leo. Am I wrong on this one guys? Someone explained it to me like this once. Like technically can't two p13 leo produce a black diamond pup, a high quality one? I always thought p12=henlei, p13=leo, p14=thousand island, any other attached terms just describe visual quality.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
True BDs are Leopoldi that are from a certain collection point in brazil that naturally have the belly spotting, outer spots and bigger more white spots. there are hybrids and such that they breed to appear like BDS but unless you can trace the lineage you do not know. The BD in my avatar is from a local breeder who has only BDs with his original stock wild caught.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
True BDs are Leopoldi that are from a certain collection point in brazil that naturally have the belly spotting, outer spots and bigger more white spots. there are hybrids and such that they breed to appear like BDS but unless you can trace the lineage you do not know. The BD in my avatar is from a local breeder who has only BDs with his original stock wild caught.
Except for not all bds have belly spotting. There are lots of wild bds imported that did not have belly spotting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Except for not all bds have belly spotting. There are lots of wild bds imported that did not have belly spotting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Trev..I've only been in the game a couple years so i defer here. Trev what is the best way in your opinion to describe/id BDs?

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Unfortunately I sold my BDxLeo for a Tropical Gar on Sunday, however if you refer to one of my threads which has something similar to Black Diamond Hybrid in the title of the thread, you can see pictures of him.

What makes me suspicious is the spots on the interior of the disk have a slight brown tint, similar to my old ray and the outer dots are more or less completely white more towards the circumference of the ray.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
I'll do check later, anyway, the pic was sent from aquamonster Taiwan

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
a pair of this fella, asking price is US $1300