Beatin' A dead horse-> Leaking fluval 404/405- Just want some insight

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
zerojquan85;3896497; said:
i once read an old post from another forum about the Fluval 404.. theres some issue about the design of the filter and thus people stop buying them because it had a high mortality rate... and its also a reason why it was changed to a 405..

I've once visited a LFS that still had an unwrapped Fluval 404 sitting on the shelf.. dusty and unopen.. price tag is still $200.. but no one seems to buy it..

I agree that EHEIM does have some flaw in certain series of filters.. thats is why there are more than 1 series of EHEIMs.. However.. with that said... The reason why i've single out Fluval is because fluval has the design flaws... even FX5 does have a flaw in the filter.. I recommend visiting the EHEIM pro 3 vs. FX-5 review.. there are some issues with the FX-5 in terms of Long term usage..

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68458&highlight=FX-5

I can tell you the issue after reading the full review myself 4 months ago went i choose the EHEIM pro series over FX-5.. i planned to get one.. but after researching and understanding the burned out motor issue.. i decided to go EHEIM..

I can say that if i'm a consumer and after reading reviews of troubles with Fluval brands.. i wouldn't invest in a Fluval if other consumers have purchased it and have issues with the filter.. Just like the Toyota company.. Once a design flaw in a brand has surfaced.. it will loose the people's trust in the brand.. no matter how much they "improve" the product.. I do not want to see my hard earn money go to waste if a product has defects..
I see what your saying what I would be interested in finding out is if fluval has fixed this problem with the motor seeing how that thread is from 07. Out of curiosity how much did you pay for the Ehiem and was it brand new.

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
erk419;3896555; said:
I see what your saying what I would be interested in finding out is if fluval has fixed this problem with the motor seeing how that thread is from 07. Out of curiosity how much did you pay for the Ehiem and was it brand new.
I have 5 eheims.. but i'll focus on the filter i choose over FX5..

The filter that i choose over the FX-5 was an EHEIM 2128.. its a Pro II series.. not the Pro 3 or Pro 3e. Its retail at $400 because it has a build in 210watt heater, with external plug so you do not have to worry about using the heater if you do not want to use it..

I found one online which came with a twin filter.. 2228.. both cost me $150 ea.. and are still working fine.. no damages. no malfunctions.. no pump head problems..

Eheim are more durable in the long run.. They might cost more. but they last longer...

I'll give you an example.. I still have an EHEIM 2213 with the "Made in West-Germany" sticker on it.... The filter was given to me by my uncle.. he got back in the early 80s.. so.. ya.. I trust Eheim.. ;)

crisper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2008
over there boi
Sorry bro but a leaking filter, or one that may fail and cost the lives of your fish, may cost you more than the price of a new filter. Try looking for a new one. For know try keeping the can in a large bucket.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
ecuaaron;3896594; said:
if you need money i'll buy your 120g
Shipping a tank might be as likely to receive intack as winning the 6/49 lol

I dont know.. I just thought maybe there were some people that put some time into playing with this infamous problem.

It seems like such a simple machine, I just hate scrapping something unless I know its bad. If I dont know why its become an issue, it bugs me when I spent money and time on it.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
zerojquan85;3896609; said:
I own 5 EHEIMs.. because i trust the brand.. I also have Aquaclear... AC110s..

The filter that i choose over the FX-5 was an EHEIM 2128.. its a Pro II series.. not the Pro 3 or Pro 3e. Its retail at $400 but i found one used online.. It came with a twin filter.. 2228.. both cost me $150 ea.. and they are still working fine.. no damages. no malfunctions.. no pump head problems..

Eheim are more durable in the long run.. They might cost more. but they last longer...

I'll give you an example.. I still have an EHEIM 2213 with the "Made in West-Germany" sticker on it.... The filter was given to me by my uncle.. he got back in the early 80s.. so.. ya.. I trust Eheim.. ;)
Nice thats a long freaking time. I'd probaly have went with the EHEIM also if I had the money but I got the fx5 brand new in the box shipped on ebay for 210.00. Ive had it for a month and so far I'm loving it. Getting another one for my 150 this weekend for the same price. I know everyone claims the AC110 is the GOD of the HOB's but I've owned three smaller AC's two I bought about the same time a year later both started leaking. A couple years later thought I'd try another one. I couldn't get it to flow right two times it just stopped all together had to take the motor off manually spin the impeller and put it back on this was a couple days after I got it. Next day took it back and got a emperor 400.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
chronic_;3896639; said:
Shipping a tank might be as likely to receive intack as winning the 6/49 lol

I dont know.. I just thought maybe there were some people that put some time into playing with this infamous problem.

It seems like such a simple machine, I just hate scrapping something unless I know its bad. If I dont know why its become an issue, it bugs me when I spent money and time on it.
Have you tried putting vasoline on the big rubber seal that goes around the inside of the lid.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
Oh for sure!

Ever since I got the 404 I used vaseline on the main seal.

I'm pretty sure it was the o-rings on the quick release that were leaking though(The two o-rings for each hose?). I think water pooled up in the head from one of these hoses then leaked out from the clasps.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
chronic_;3896667; said:
Oh for sure!

Ever since I got the 404 I used vaseline on the main seal.

I'm pretty sure it was the o-rings on the quick release that were leaking though(The two o-rings for each hose?). I think water pooled up in the head from one of these hoses then leaked out from the clasps.
Hmmmm that may be the problem with mine. Is yours leaking right under the two clamps cause thats were mine is leaking.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
Yep!!

Only thing I can think of, is if you remove your quick release clamp then look in the filter head there, one of the inlets has a slot above the o-ring mating surface, inlet or oulet?? (I have both of my pumps running right now and dont want to temp fate and remove one to check lol)
That slot will fill the head with water, then the water drains past the clasps...

So if one of the hoses seals are faulty, water pools up in that little area of the head and drains into the head, then flows out past the clasps since they have holes in the frame for the clamps.

This is my presumption so far... This is why I am wondering if there are any more points the filter can leak from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store