Beatin' A dead horse-> Leaking fluval 404/405- Just want some insight

b3av

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2012
cali
I actually started this account just so i could post this..

I bought a 404 and a 405 and they both started leaking as soon as i set them up. i spent a lot of time looking online trying to salvage these.

what i got to work..

i let the gasket sit out of the filter soaking in water a day to re-expand.. (if you feel cuts grooves or dips just buy a new one)

wet sanded the gasket seating surface in the bucket to get rid of the burrs and junk built on it preventing the seal

thin coat of vaseline on the gasket

with no water in the bucket (or low water) evenly clamp the head onto the bucket

fill the filter through the hole in top

vuala..

i ran my filters for a few days on their sides as a stress test with no leaks..

if your going to throw it away mail me and ill pay the shipping to my house..

good luck!

david yurik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
northeast ohio
I actually started this account just so i could post this..
I bought a 404 and a 405 and they both started leaking as soon as i set them up. i spent a lot of time looking online trying to salvage these.
what i got to work..
i let the gasket sit out of the filter soaking in water a day to re-expand.. (if you feel cuts grooves or dips just buy a new one)
wet sanded the gasket seating surface in the bucket to get rid of the burrs and junk built on it preventing the seal
thin coat of vaseline on the gasket
with no water in the bucket (or low water) evenly clamp the head onto the bucket
fill the filter through the hole in top
vuala..
i ran my filters for a few days on their sides as a stress test with no leaks..
if your going to throw it away mail me and ill pay the shipping to my house..
good luck!

b3 they put a date at the top of the post to know when it was made. i bet he did something else since feb of 2010!! maybe not though so good luck with your offer!!

dave

b3av

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2012
cali
b3 they put a date at the top of the post to know when it was made. i bet he did something else since feb of 2010!! maybe not though so good luck with your offer!!

dave
WTG captain obvious

since i just started having this problem, and this was the 4th link down while searching google for "leaky fluval fix" this was more for the people still having the problem than it was for _Chronic

Cheers!

david yurik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
northeast ohio
WTG captain obvious

since i just started having this problem, and this was the 4th link down while searching google for "leaky fluval fix" this was more for the people still having the problem than it was for _Chronic

Cheers!
sorry i didn't realilze your offer to pay shipping was part of how to fix a leaky fluval. :screwy: my bad i guess.:nilly:

xNilathakx

Feeder Fish
May 20, 2014
Mexico
I came across this thread because this evening I had this terrible issue. In fact, I registered to say what I did to solve this problem, though this topic is old.

Like the person that made this topic I don't have money to buy a new and better one. And making my own filter seemed to be a little complicated specially because you need many materials.

For stop the leak, I used lots of plumbers tape on the o-ring and all the near area. Of course this not a permanent solution, in the first change I will buy a new canister filter [not fluval, obvious].

Kind regards form Mexico. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store