Beatin' A dead horse-> Leaking fluval 404/405- Just want some insight

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
Hmmm is that something you can replace? Mine is also leaving around the prime handle. You know if you open the canister up look on the side of the lid the suction cup thats on the prime shaft. When you put your is the down postion like its suppose to does the suction cup lay flush with the hole like blocking it cause mine doesnt and I don't know if it use to or not.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
I dont know why I didn't think of the prime handle, of course that could leak!

As for replacing those bits in the head, I dunno... Just seems like that slot is an orifice water can enter, and from what I've seen it just exits out past the clasps.

Only way water can get into that orifice is if the o-rings in the quick release leak though, so far as I have found...

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
chronic_;3896741; said:
I dont know why I didn't think of the prime handle, of course that could leak!

As for replacing those bits in the head, I dunno... Just seems like that slot is an orifice water can enter, and from what I've seen it just exits out past the clasps.

Only way water can get into that orifice is if the o-rings in the quick release leak though, so far as I have found...
From what i've experience no amount of repair or extra help will fix a filter if its already broken..

Either way.. i do hope you'll either solve the problem of quickly get a replacement...

Ya.. FX-5 are nice.. they have better flow rate compare to EHEIM's... but in the long run.. they do not fair as great as Eheim...

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
Yeah, once I get working again I think that pro 2 is in my future.

But I dunno, 404 has been running since this time last night and its not leaking. So... Maybe it has some life. I would hate to scrap it if it is fine you know. Its such a touchy subject, if it did leak well... damn right!.

If the tank was in an infinished basement, hah! Wouldn't be too worried lol

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Thread has me worried about my 404 lol. If your worried about a big leak or it gushing water out etc Id put a siphon break on the intake.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
Lol

What's a siphon break? I guess i'll just look it up in a second here, but multiple explainations are always good ;)

Got it;) Good idea!! I will do that for sure!

joe the fish man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
orange county, ca.
I had a 404 that leaked, I changed the O-ring and it stopped for a while. It started leaking again and I changed the O-ring again but it kept leaking so I threw it away. I have had an FX5 for 2 years without any issues, hopefully it stays that way.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
chronic_;3899887; said:
Lol

What's a siphon break? I guess i'll just look it up in a second here, but multiple explainations are always good ;)

Got it;) Good idea!! I will do that for sure!
Glad I could help !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store