Beneficial Bacteria temperature?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
ok so they are not huge fish... yet lol. yea that should work just fine adding one a week. just keep an eye on the water parameters. i like using one of them seachem ammonia alert things. nice being able to look and seeing your ammonia level.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
ahh ic lol. yea this is deffinately one of them topic everyone has there own opinion lol. i am just sharing what i have done and has come out successful. im accually in the process right now. i just set up a new 240G.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I agree with the people that say you should put the sponge in your FX5 filter,but you have to have at least one or two fish in your tank to feed the bacteria and add ammonia to keep the cycle going other wise it will die off and you will be starting all over again.That being said two small fish will not make a lethal amount of ammonia in your tank,Just have to deal cloudy water that you always get till your tank gets established and do some extra water changes making sure you add water conditioner to take out chlorine and ammonia. I use prime its works great

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I just fully cycled a 40 gallon with tetra safestart in less than a week had to recycle the tank cuz of meds. Never had ammonia or nitrite spikes matter of fact I never even registered nitrite and the surviving loach never showed signs of stress. If you go this route feel free to pm me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
ahh ic lol. yea this is deffinately one of them topic everyone has there own opinion lol. i am just sharing what i have done and has come out successful. im accually in the process right now. i just set up a new 240G.
Yeh, when can i add the first fish? Now thinking about it, i cant put the sponge inside, its being used in another tank, should have though of that :D I can however squeeze them both out, either inside the fx5, or in the tank.
I could also buy some small goldfish or something to cycled the tank, without risking my own fish dying, then i could maybe do it faster?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What ever bacteria you put in the tank or filter will die with out an ammmonia source. Giant danios worked well for me. Also im telling you use the safestart and you will be done in a few days

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
agreed. if you put the sponge in there, put a fish in there with it. just one though. keep an eye on your ammonia to make sure it does not get too high. i think i have used the stuff that Jaws7777 used and it works very well. just be sure to shake it up reall good before you use it. i belive that there is a experation date on it as well so be sure to look at that before buying it. if you have to order it, they are usually good about rotating stock but just take a look to make sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store