Beneficial Bacteria temperature?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
agreed. if you put the sponge in there, put a fish in there with it. just one though. keep an eye on your ammonia to make sure it does not get too high. i think i have used the stuff that Jaws7777 used and it works very well. just be sure to shake it up reall good before you use it. i belive that there is a experation date on it as well so be sure to look at that before buying it. if you have to order it, they are usually good about rotating stock but just take a look to make sure.
I'll be checking ammonia, and nitrit alot. I though i'd just buy a goldfish, or some giant danios or something as an ammonia supply. Them have the goldfish in the tank for like 3 days, then add my Frontosa Burundi, then wait a couple of more days then remove the goldfish, and replace it with my Synodontis, and i will keep going like that until my smaller tank is empty for fish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If you decide to buy safestart Amazon was much cheaper than lfs...Giant danios are great for cycling I used the same group to cycling 3 tanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
If you decide to buy safestart Amazon was much cheaper than lfs...Giant danios are great for cycling I used the same group to cycling 3 tanks

I live in Denmark, so amazon will take ages to arrive.
Gonna research Giant Danios, maybe they might be something im gonna keep, and not use as food after :)
Everyone thanks for the help. Might have some more questions comming tho.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Lunker would probanly better answer but I used 9 in a 40 gal 6 in the 55 and 4 in the 40 gal again. It is still gonna take you weeks to fully cycle the tank along with tons of water changes the safestart would cut this down to days. I am also keeping the giant danios these freakin fish are indestructible they not only survived but thrived they double in size and evem mated. Little spawn swimming around in the filter. I know im harping on the safestart but I cycled the 40 gal for a month and a half (the first time) and the tank still wasn't fully cycled( was getting high nitrites) i will never do that again!

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Lunker would probanly better answer but I used 9 in a 40 gal 6 in the 55 and 4 in the 40 gal again. It is still gonna take you weeks to fully cycle the tank along with tons of water changes the safestart would cut this down to days. I am also keeping the giant danios these freakin fish are indestructible they not only survived but thrived they double in size and evem mated. Little spawn swimming around in the filter. I know im harping on the safestart but I cycled the 40 gal for a month and a half (the first time) and the tank still wasn't fully cycled( was getting high nitrites) i will never do that again!

I would buy it, however im on a budget.
Im hoping that squeezing out the sponges from a used sponge filter, into the tank.
If i buy like 5 - 10 giant danios, and add them right after squeezing out the sponges into the tanks water, how often, and how big water changes should i do?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
im assuming that the danios will be only about 1.5-2" when you get them from the store. that is the average size of them around here anyway from the store. to cycle a 140, you are gonna need quite a few. at least a dozen. you may be able to just use some feeder goldfish to make it cheaper unless you like the danios. some can look pretty good. overfeeding them can also help with cycling the tank. the uneaten food will rot producing ammonia as well. once the tank cycles, i would start adding your show fish one by one. keep track of the ammonia. once it drops back down to below .02ppm add another.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
im assuming that the danios will be only about 1.5-2" when you get them from the store. that is the average size of them around here anyway from the store. to cycle a 140, you are gonna need quite a few. at least a dozen. you may be able to just use some feeder goldfish to make it cheaper unless you like the danios. some can look pretty good. overfeeding them can also help with cycling the tank. the uneaten food will rot producing ammonia as well. once the tank cycles, i would start adding your show fish one by one. keep track of the ammonia. once it drops back down to below .02ppm add another.
Ok. I'm a little scared the feeder goldfish would transfer diseases to my tank. How big of a goldfish should i buy. My LFS has alot of them, in all sizes. Black Mores, other gold fish. Anything really. They are however like 3" maybe 2" and in very overstocked tanks, like 50 - 60 goldfish in a 300l tank, or even smaller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store