Best food for fish argument

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Quick growth does not necessarily equate to optimum health.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
The only problem I see with synthetic vitamins is that most are isolates of a complex. Without the entire complex and only one isolate you have decreased absorption and bioavailability. Sometimes you need 1000x the daily recommended amount to get a similar effect. (You'll see this on labels) Then toxicity issues arise because of the amount ingested.

Synthetic supplements are great to supplement, but for primary nutrition often lead to deficiencies and toxicity issues. We see this with human vitamin companies in my industry, now more health conscious companies like standard process are making whole food extracts which provide entire vitamin complexes instead of synthetic, incomplete, vitamin isolates. With a whole complex of vitamin C for example, you need a fraction of the massive amounts of ascorbic acid put in synthetic supplements and products.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/massivore-delite/

Which doesn't tell you anything beyond the kcal of each pellet. They also cannot tell each fish keeper how much carbohydrate is useable for their fish, as no such data exists. It probably looks impressive for those that feed goldfish feeders though .......

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
There's a work around for predatory species kept in captivity.......... gut loaded live feeders that are raised by the owner. So take your NLS pellets, David, and feed them to the live feeders that you've personally raised, and then immediately feed those NLS gut filled feeders to your fish.
Agreed, certainly the best option for those who have big fish who only eat live. I'd still prefer to pellet train them though!

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
birch999, your avatar makes me want a butti so bad.

about the food though

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Diesel, what you have stated has never been a problem within the fish food industry, at least not for a few decades now. Plenty of research has taken place, and plenty of data exists. Most fish food manufacturers do not use synthetic supplements as as source of primary nutrition, at least the good ones don't, so bioavailability is not such a big issue. The vitamins are in place as a security blanket of sorts, to hopefully supplement when & where needed.

As an example, Ascorbic acid is seldom used by any manufacturers these days, what is used is far more stable, and for more effective at much smaller dosage rates. (L-ascorbyl-2-poly phosphate)

How much a fish requires is not only species dependent, but also dependent on the age/growth stage of the fish, the stress levels of the fish, etc-etc. No matter what anyone feeds these types of nutrient levels cannot be measured out in exact quantities. I don't think that anyone has to be worried about vitamin toxicity isues when using commercial feed, most are under supplemented IMHO.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thank you for teaching me something RD. My experience is in the human pharmaceutical industry, and as a CNS so I speak from experience and case studies in my industry.

It's a stretch for me to correlate between fish and humans. With a quality pellet, with animal parts as the majority ingredients not fillers and synthetics, I think you're correct. All pellets aren't created equal so choosing a quality staple is important.

Might have to try this NLS stuff you're always talking about.

:cool:

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store