Best food for fish argument

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Best food = pellets

I don't want to go through the Hikari vs. NLS debate, but hands down pellets are the best foods for fishes.

They provide good nutritional values and have no cons.

Feeders can be costly and carry diseases. I know you can raise your own feeders, but does not eliminate the chance for them to get sick. Pellets have less risks to get a fish sick or kill it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
But can pellets give the same as live fish? I can eat mcdonalds all day every day and live but is it the best food for me? Like I said I have pellets and feed pellets just wondering what the best is

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Every type of food has both pros, and cons.

The #1 con with pellets is palatability. Some fish will choose certain pellets over others due to texture, smell/taste, and sometimes even color. Some fish will simply not eat pellets, period.

While pellets do offer excellent nutritional value, I don't think that one can state that the nutritional value is greater than if one is feeding whole live foods. That is a very simplistic view, and impossible to truly compare unless you are comparing specific brands, to very specific live diets.

When raising feeders in a controlled environment, or culturing other live food in a controlled environment, there is zero risk of infecting a fish with the type of numerous pathogens and ectoparasites that can be found in live food found at ones LFS.

I feed pellets by choice, for a number of reasons, and they definitely get the job done, but that doesn't mean that one can't get the same results feeding a properly balanced mix of live food.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What does feeding pellets have to do with McDonald's? If that's the foundation of your argument perhaps you should use the search feature & come back in a few months when you have a firmer grasp of what you are attempting to debate.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The following is a repost from a comment that I made a few yrs back on MFK, from the following discussion. (post #115)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-Fish-As-Food-Nutritional-Value-amp-Concerns/

With regards to feeding live ......

The largest freshwater carnivores in North America, Acipenser transmontanus (White Sturgeon), are raised commercially (such as the fish below) exclusively on pellet food that typically consists of 40-45% crude protein, and exceed both size & weight of the vast majority of tropical fish kept in captivity.

I agree that aquaculture facilities dont feed live because it's not economical or overly practical, and that it's possible to get better gains on live food. Having said that IMO a LOT of people in this hobby become too fixated on just growing BIGGER, and FASTER, and seldom consider longevity. There are certainly pros & cons to both sides of the equation, but as shown above one certainly doesn't need to feed live or frozen food to grow out a MONSTER fish.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Well RD. I am sorry
I'm not trying to debate anything I am simply asking a question on what would be best I'm not saying pellet is better or worse I use pellet I'm just wondering if it is as good as life whole food and as you stated it is but pellet can give you good growth good color and leave a fish healthy and happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store