Best food for fish argument

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I throw disobedient children into my tanks when those are available.

In between, I feed a mixture of freeze dry krills, earthworms, bloodworms, NLS and massavore pellets, occasional snails from my desktop tank and some veggies.

I'm sure my royal pleco chew on my drift wood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I personally stick to pellets.
Not trying to stir the pot but i find NLS offers the best nutritional value for my fish.
All the fish i keep now eat pellets exclusively and are very colorful and thriving. When i kept larger predatory fish i bred and fed live guppies and convicts that were gut loaded with NLS before being transferred to the 180.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
The beauty of pellets is their simplicity and ease of use. Very few people know enough about fish nutrition to feed a whole food only diet. And even supplementing whole foods along side a quality pellet isn't black and white. It's very easy to overfed whole foods and water quality can suffer quickly under the wrong procedures. That being said, for most fish if done properly, benefit greatly to having both in their diet. I don't personally promote one or the other, as ideally both are used in conjunction and in balance.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
ehh, if this bores you then go play in another sand box.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The beauty of pellets is their simplicity and ease of use. Very few people know enough about fish nutrition to feed a whole food only diet. And even supplementing whole foods along side a quality pellet isn't black and white. It's very easy to overfed whole foods and water quality can suffer quickly under the wrong procedures. That being said, for most fish if done properly, benefit greatly to having both in their diet. I don't personally promote one or the other, as ideally both are used in conjunction and in balance.

Very well said ......

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Nice post Trace

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
There's a work around for predatory species kept in captivity.......... gut loaded live feeders that are raised by the owner. So take your NLS pellets, David, and feed them to the live feeders that you've personally raised, and then immediately feed those NLS gut filled feeders to your fish.

Best of both worlds. :)
I have accelerated the growth rate of my chain, red fin and grass pickerels with this exact method.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I like a good varied flake pellet freeze dried diet. I know I couldn't live happily eating the same thing every single day.

I also serve a few frozen items for dinner meals daily.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
a varied diet is best ,personally I feed my fishes frozen bloodworms as everyday food ,then occasionally give them anything i can find that is edible for fishes , like fish flesh , chopped pieces of fish , clams , mussels ,peeled shrimps ( all this from the seafood section of supermarkets) . from my garden i can find them crickets ,earthworms , small spiders , mosquitoes , beetles , slugs etc . Sometimes for big fish like arowanas , peacock bass etc , i feed them live geckos , praying mantis . for my pufferfish , i give him small snails , small garden snail and even slugs .A rainy day almost always make a good outdoor fishfood collecting day .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store