Black rays...who is buying one when/if they land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
JD7.62;2397164; said:
Thanks for the input so far guys!

How about this, for ****s and giggles list what type (P14,leo,hen), how much you are WILLING to pay and how much you are ABLE to pay.

Me:

Leo, willing to pay $500-1000, able to pay $500-1000

4 me it depends more on size, health, quality, etc....

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
JD7.62;2397191; said:
Lets say average size for imported rays are 5-8", and of average quality but from a reputable supplier...go!
from everything ive heard so far.... they guy sellin for about 1000 even is gettin my biz

amazongirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Chicago
My personal opinion is that the only worthwhile reason to bring a wild caught ray in is if you are working on a breeding program, to bring in more genetic diversity. If you're just looking for a nice ray to keep at home, a CB animal is going to be a better choice- heathier, eating prepared foods, not as stressed, acclimated to the captive environment, could go on and on here...

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
I would love to grab a bunch and I do love CB but I would like to have some that are larger and can go right in the bigger tank without growing out. Hype or not if they are available and the price is right I will set up a pond immediately and buy a bunch of them and load my 600+ gallon as soon as its ready

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
vamptrev;2397203; said:
from everything ive heard so far.... they guy sellin for about 1000 even is gettin my biz
You heard that?

That is a fair deal IMO.

Im on the fence. I can afford it, but Id have to sell some rare fish Id probably NEVER get a chance to own again. Id be heated if I pay a grand and next year they are $500! :irked: :nilly:

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
amazongirl;2397210; said:
My personal opinion is that the only worthwhile reason to bring a wild caught ray in is if you are working on a breeding program, to bring in more genetic diversity. If you're just looking for a nice ray to keep at home, a CB animal is going to be a better choice- heathier, eating prepared foods, not as stressed, acclimated to the captive environment, could go on and on here...

But what about supply? CB rays, at least for now, are doing nothing to satisfy the demand.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
No black rays for me.

I'm just not financially able to spend thousands on "A" fish......

Now IF they were $500-$1000 now that's a different story.

But as of right now hearing prices that are all over the board and being somewhat of a conspiracy theorist there is NO way I will be buying any anytime soon.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
amazongirl;2397210; said:
plus, ive been tryin to get my hands on cb's for over 2 yrs now and only got my hands on 2

amazongirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Chicago
JD7.62;2397224; said:
But what about supply? CB rays, at least for now, are doing nothing to satisfy the demand.
The quota that is going to be allowed out really is not that high when you think about it. Perhaps if they continue to issue a quota each year the supply will increase and prices will come down, but now that number is pretty tiny when you think about the world market, and that is the number of animals that can be exported. Some will die in transport, some at the wholesaler and so on. I think, at least in the US and Europe, right now it will be easier and certianlly cheaper to obtain a CB black ray than a WC one. The quota will probably be filled in a couple weeks, and then no more til another quota is issued, which could be next year and every year after that, could be never. CB rays are availiable throughout the year.

I don't think leos and henlei will ever be the same price as a motoro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store