Black rays...who is buying one when/if they land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
amazongirl;2397261; said:
The quota that is going to be allowed out really is not that high when you think about it. Perhaps if they continue to issue a quota each year the supply will increase and prices will come down, but now that number is pretty tiny when you think about the world market, and that is the number of animals that can be exported. Some will die in transport, some at the wholesaler and so on. I think, at least in the US and Europe, right now it will be easier and certianlly cheaper to obtain a CB black ray than a WC one. The quota will probably be filled in a couple weeks, and then no more til another quota is issued, which could be next year and every year after that, could be never. CB rays are availiable throughout the year.

I don't think leos and henlei will ever be the same price as a motoro.
I dont think any one thinks a leo will ever be as cheap as a motoro.

However, do you think the market IN THE US, will hold at current prices even if just say 50-100 came in? How long would it take some one to sell 50-100 fish at $1500ea?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
JD7.62;2397185; said:
Wow, its still early with a few replies but it appears that the demand for wild rays is low compared to CB. What would it take to buy a wild ray over CB? A lower price, what?

Arent leos and hens considered to be very hardy though so wouldnt wild be a safer bet then say a wild motoro?

Wild is not always better IMO. They are harder to feed, much more easily stressed out, more agro, and tend to carry more diseases.

As said above, best for breeding programs IMO.

What would it take? Lower prices helps but the above are all my main concerns which can be remedied through a long period of captivity and qrnt.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Could be 10 minutes could be 10 months. IF there is only one source the price won't drop ONE penny.

amazongirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Chicago
JD7.62;2397299; said:
I dont think any one thinks a leo will ever be as cheap as a motoro.

However, do you think the market IN THE US, will hold at current prices even if just say 50-100 came in? How long would it take some one to sell 50-100 fish at $1500ea?
I think that if 50-100 come into the US they will already be sold before the cross the border for the most part. There are not a whole lot of wholesalers in the US that are going to take a risk on a fish that may cost them a grand to bring in unless they have a really good reason to do so. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. I suppose we'll see what happens.

I don't think a one time quota will make much of a difference in the stingray market. If they continue to export every year it will probably change a bit.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
amazongirl;2397324; said:
I think that if 50-100 come into the US they will already be sold before the cross the border for the most part. There are not a whole lot of wholesalers in the US that are going to take a risk on a fish that may cost them a grand to bring in unless they have a really good reason to do so. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. I suppose we'll see what happens.

I don't think a one time quota will make much of a difference in the stingray market. If they continue to export every year it will probably change a bit.

I sure hope your right. Id love to see some one in this business move $150,000 in inventory before the product arrives, especially in today's economy!

Oh in case people are wondering, yes, I am this analytical about just about everyhting in my life! I cant wait till my wife gets done with nursing school so I can work towards my CPA!

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
JD7.62;2397340; said:
I sure hope your right. Id love to see some one in this business move $150,000 in inventory before the product arrives, especially in today's economy!

Oh in case people are wondering, yes, I am this analytical about just about everyhting in my life! I cant wait till my wife gets done with nursing school so I can work towards my CPA!
Might see that person very soon :)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
captive bred rays are sooooooo much better than wild caught

they will eat most foods
they don't have the risk of a hock being stuck in their gut
they breed faster

for me that means everything surely thats what people want a happy healthy ray they can breed from in 2-3yrs isn't it

to me its well worth paying $200-400 more for a captive bred ray rather than wild caught i have no big breeding project i need to get a wider gene pool i will leave that to the pros

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
JD7.62;2397340; said:
Oh in case people are wondering, yes, I am this analytical about just about everyhting in my life!
That's what I like to hear; it is good to see someone being logical and cool-headed about ray keeping. :headbang2

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've own or have owned both captive and wild caught. Loosing wild caughts sucks. Not only cause you're just OUT the money you spent on the fish AND trying to save it but you never know WHY you lost it..... If it was something you did wrong or if there was a problem long before.

As long as W/Cs remain as high priced as captive breds (which they WILL as there is only 1 source) it seems to me rather silly to even toy with the idea of WC over captive......... Captives seem like that extra insurance you pay for when you buy things..... Spend more money and be safe rather than be sorry.

Now if another source popped up and cut the price in half it would be different.... But I don't see that happening.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The only benefit of w/c over cb's is you can get a larger size for less money. If you only have one system and a QT tank you don't want to put 4 inch pups in with 18 inch adults. I wouldn't mind owning a couple of wild 8-10 inch rays for about $800 a piece verses $1200-$1500 for a pup. I own w/c and cb rays and yes the acclimation of the cb's was effortless but my w/c's acclimated just as easy. They just took a day longer on average to get them eating but they came in pretty healthy. Of course the smaller you can get the w/c's the better they acclimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store