Bowfin in NJ

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
As a lifetime MN Angler, that is completely incorrect about the wonton wasting of roughfish. In fact from my understanding it would be illegal to disregard fish remains on the shore. There would be no reason whatsoever to blatantly kill a "roughfish" other than invasive carp (Bighead, Silver, Grass).

I have heard several old timers cite this false sense of MN law as well. Please know that this is not current! (im unsure if it ever even was). I personally think killing "roughfish" like Buffalo, Redhorse, and Bowfin only helps to increase the numbers of common carp in most of the lakes and rivers in MN. If you are able to cite any source from the DNR regulations that demands or encourages the wonton waste of "roughfish" please go ahead ad post, I have looked several times and have never found any such notice.

I have only caught a few Bowfin in my life (never targeted them but found a few places im going to try) and they are an awesome fish, please don't waste them.
T Thekid MN_Rebel MN_Rebel

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That does sound very peculiar, I'm mean they are native correct?
Our Flathead catfish in MY part of the state are not native to these river drainage systems but they are native to PA, however the "Kill-on-sight" laws has been abolished as more and more people are embracing them, but in MN I guess it would depend where in the state and what watershed.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Sounds like a good way lessen the diversity of your ecosystem, if they were introduced; I could see it.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Bowlin are sold in the Chinese markets here, they're delicious apparently. I believe it but am not going out of my way to try it, mainly due to conditions they are kept in.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Thank you. I will definitely put any information that you provided to good use. Will they go after nightcrawlers or lures?

One the NJ map i'm just seeing on spot up by morristown and the rest in south jersey. If bowfin isnt the best for a 6 year old is there any other suggestions for the central jersey area>

Thanks. It's been about 25 years since i've fished and he's gone 4 times but i'm hoping to catch enough that he catches something (or at least doesn't blame me for not catching anything).

Would light tackle salt fishing be better to start.

Thanks ahead in advance. We are both newbies to this. With all he time spending playing hockey, baseball, and football i cuts into the fishing time (and i'd love a bowfin and american eel for my tank....just gotta read up to see if that's legal).

Thanks again.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thank you. I will definitely put any information that you provided to good use. Will they go after nightcrawlers or lures?

One the NJ map i'm just seeing on spot up by morristown and the rest in south jersey. If bowfin isnt the best for a 6 year old is there any other suggestions for the central jersey area>

Thanks. It's been about 25 years since i've fished and he's gone 4 times but i'm hoping to catch enough that he catches something (or at least doesn't blame me for not catching anything).

Would light tackle salt fishing be better to start.

Thanks ahead in advance. We are both newbies to this. With all he time spending playing hockey, baseball, and football i cuts into the fishing time (and i'd love a bowfin and american eel for my tank....just gotta read up to see if that's legal).

Thanks again.
I only ever caught 1 Bowfin and it was on a live Shiner minnow in the Schuylkill Canal, but they are predators and will eat anything that passes in front of them when hungry, but I vote live minnows, crayfish, hellgrammites, etc.

As far as fishing w/ youths in NJ, I would definitely check out Long Beach Island and the Great Bay area - I fished there for a good portion of the summer months years back and we caught a variety of smaller sharks in the 3-4 foot range, rays and skates, American Eels, Flounder, Bluefish, Sea Bass, Striped Bass, Croakers, Tautog, etc. Plenty of campgrounds for tent or cabin sleeping to make reservations ahead of time too in the immediate area. Ill try and remember the baitshop for you

Even if most fish aren't feeding, we always were able to catch "Snapper" Bluefish off the Sea-walls w/ squid or minnows on lighter tackle, kid should have a blast - they might be small, but Bluefish fight HARD no matter the size (just watch the sharp teeth....VERY sharp teeth )

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Where are you located? I've stopped at 4 but never saw any. Almost took some Jade Gobies at 10 bucks a pound that looked as good if not better than any I've seen at LFS. The tank they were in, though overcrowded, looked good. Was so close to picking up the 2. I'll have to wait for tuesday.

Can i quarentine in a 5 gallon bucket for a week with water changes, aquarium salt, and an air stone? Jade gobies are my top 3 fish of all time but i'ive never done it before. Any meds i'd need?

I figured i'd need to do the same thing if i get bowfin.

I apologize for bugging you with all these questions. I want to treat the fish well, and I really think it would be a nice experience to bring home the first fish that my son cathes (if its not a sunny).

Thanks again for everyone's help as always.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I only ever caught 1 Bowfin and it was on a live Shiner minnow in the Schuylkill Canal, but they are predators and will eat anything that passes in front of them when hungry, but I vote live minnows, crayfish, hellgrammites, etc.

As far as fishing w/ youths in NJ, I would definitely check out Long Beach Island and the Great Bay area - I fished there for a good portion of the summer months years back and we caught a variety of smaller sharks in the 3-4 foot range, rays and skates, American Eels, Flounder, Bluefish, Sea Bass, Striped Bass, Croakers, Tautog, etc. Plenty of campgrounds for tent or cabin sleeping to make reservations ahead of time too in the immediate area. Ill try and remember the baitshop for you

Even if most fish aren't feeding, we always were able to catch "Snapper" Bluefish off the Sea-walls w/ squid or minnows on lighter tackle, kid should have a blast - they might be small, but Bluefish fight HARD no matter the size (just watch the sharp teeth....VERY sharp teeth )
i'll make sure to help him with the reeling. i think we are doing a light tackle to start. low blue fish to start but a lot of the other stuff you mentioned. i just want him to catch something

do they provide rods of marine fishing? everything i have is freshwater

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store