Brand new DSA 225g setup journal

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run a 50 and a 100, one on each side and the 50 usually goes about 3-4 days with regular feedings. When I travel, sometimes I put 2 100's on there and they go about a week so the wife doesnt have to change them so often. Part of the reason i wanted them up front, so i can pull them easily.

I have some 200's but they are pretty much useless. I want to try some 25's just to see how much of a difference there is. Probably clog in a day, but I bet clarity would be pretty nice.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Im glad I asked, I was planning on using 200's. I guess I will go with 3x100 micron socks to start with. I will order some 50's too.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Well I decided on pond matrix and rings for the sump. Going to pick up a bunch of both from the lfs today or tomorrow. I have tons of gift cards so even though they will be a tad expensive it will save me money in the long run. I never order fish from this store so it is a good way to use the cards.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I picked up like 4lbs of rings yesterday along with media bags. Still waiting on tank delivery. As soon as we get the room in order they will deliver it. But between working 6 days a week and an 8 moth old baby time is at a premium. Updates will come soon. With plenty of pics, scouts honor!

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
I have heard that deep sea aquatics has a really good design so you can elimanate the center brace. i was talking about that brand with a fellow fishkeeper today beacause the aqaurium shop we both go to started carrying them. I like them but I got perfecto for my 120 beacause the deep sea aquatics are expensive.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I have heard that deep sea aquatics has a really good design so you can elimanate the center brace. i was talking about that brand with a fellow fishkeeper today beacause the aqaurium shop we both go to started carrying them. I like them but I got perfecto for my 120 beacause the deep sea aquatics are expensive.
Well actually it has 2 braces and it is reasonably priced for such a large tank IMO. But thanks for the comment :)

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
This is what I am ordering in the next week or so.
Laguna max flo 2000 x2
Tetra pond box x2
Jäger 300 watt heater x2
2 liters of pond matrix
Check valves for the returns

I also had a few questions.
1: I was planning on adding 2 korilla 1400 powerheads, but I'm worried it will be like a jacuzzi in my tank with all the flow. Will it be a problem with my planned stocking.
2: how much sand will I need for the 72x27 footprint? I think my 220 had 150 lbs so I'm thinking I will buy 200 lbs do BDS and play it by ear.
3: where is the best place to buy media bags?
4: anyone see any flaws with my setup thus far?
Josh

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I vote ebay on filter media bags or go to Walmart and look in the laundry bag area (by hangers) and get linen bags small size :)

Sent from my LGL45C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I made a huge order yesterday from amazon. Pumps, heaters, filter boxes, matrix, check valves ect. Should all be here by friday.

2 things I am wondering. Will any of the sock holders sold currently fit over the rim of a standard 75g? And which powerheads should I get hydor 1400s or 1050s? I wan 2 of them but I dont want a tank suited for GATF either.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I had issues with the plastic rim on my 75 gallon and chose to use magnet scrapers to hold up my sock holders "inside" my 75. Took a little bit of thought process to make it work, but works well and is moveable. I think you can see them in pg3 of the build

Both my Koralias failed within 2 months of each other. i was kind of bummed out but noticed the fish were hanging out in spots they previously hadn't so I've chosen not to replace them. I had 2 Hydor heaters fail last year too so overall, Im not impressed with Hydor products.

I got my media bags at Target. Standard laundry bags

DSC_8696.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store