Brand new DSA 225g setup journal

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Thanks john, I got 2 of those bags today. They are huge. I saw in your thread where you said yo used the scrapers to hold up the sock holder before. I will take another look and if I have any questions i'll let you know. I will be running 3 socks probably all 75 micron (atleast until my stocking gets fairly heavy) so I want them to be as easy to change as possible. Good news is I just bought a new H.E. Washer in march (key word I) so my wife wont have any issues with me washing socks in it.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Maybe pics will add some life to this thread. Got in a box of goodies...well actually 3 boxes. Please note there are actually 2 pumps and 2 pond boxes, just didnt want to open more than needed. Just needed to figure out what was needed for plumbing. More coming soon. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1359165104011.jpg

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Ive been trying to Find 75 micron socks but ive had no luck. I think 50 will clog to fast even with 3 running at once. I don't want to run 100 micron because I want crystal clear water. How well do 100's clean? Will there still be suspended particles visable?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
100's work pretty well actually and clog up about every 5 days or so with a normal stock. The 50's usually go about 3 days before needing to be changed. One of the reasons I moved the sock location up front for quick and easy changes. Ii have 2 setting on my AC for filters off. A is 2 minutes for the sock change and B is 2 hours for the water change. I've always been able to change socks within the 2 minutes.....

I know JCardona1 was using 25' and was searching for 5's for his Discus tank.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I guess I'm just going to do 100's then. All I lack is socks, hangers and the magnetic cleaners. Well and the tank being delivered of coarse. Won't be long, I promise!

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I guess I'm just going to do 100's then. All I lack is socks, hangers and the magnetic cleaners. Well and the tank being delivered of coarse. Won't be long, I promise!
I bought a dozen when I built mine. 6 100's and 6 50's. That way I always have a clean pair and usually wash 8-10 at a time.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I think I'm gonna order 15 total. 9 100's and 6 50's
Good plan. I also picked up some 200's but honestly, they are pretty much useless. They are currently holding extra plumbing parts in my garage lol

so I guess they aren't totally useless....:)

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Good plan. I also picked up some 200's but honestly, they are pretty much useless. They are currently holding extra plumbing parts in my garage lol

so I guess they aren't totally useless....:)
Did you order yours from mcmaster Carr? If so would you mind linking the specific ones you bought? There are so many options and the last ones I ordered weren't what I wanted. Don't want to make that mistake again. Just looking for the same size and style sock you are running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store