Breeding and maintaining mealworms

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Bighurt;3769562; said:
They are quiet most of the time hardly hiss at all... but they have a thick exo-skeloton most animals won't eat full on adults. www.blaberus.com best site for info...

I change my Avatar to go with my rank...as I don't actually have any fish...LOL
Nice website. Favorited. I'll have to get some non-climbing ones. Seem easier to start with, I don't have any reptiles but that's not the reason I would breed them. The reason I wanted to breed mealworms was that I could sell them, lol.

Update: One of the supers in the craft box has curled into a "c". Which is a sign that they will be going into the alien stage soon enough. Also the superworms love the carrots and they aren't molding. These are just plain ole carrots, cost me 79 cents for a pound I believe.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Stupid, stupid, stupid superworms. Their cannabalizing each other now. Such malarkey this is. I have a few conclusions to why they are doing this:
1. Not enough room so when they molt the other ones are eating the fresh water source since the newly molten superworm is very fragile
2. Too high temps/humidity(I bought a humidity guage from Walmart tonight and should be able to tell soon enough)
3. Not enough water source/food variety/nutrition type of thing.

I'm looking at some bigger enclosures for these guys since they are in a somewhat of a small container. I hope I can get this figured out soon. 2 have been cannabalized since yesterday morning.

OscarRobinson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I tried super worms last year and got them to the beetle stage but never seemed to go anywhere from there. I used that Fluker's cricket quencher and they seemed to do fine with that as a water source and never cannibalized each other. They just never produced any larvae. The beetles however lived a very long time, until I got fed up with the whole thing and fed them to my fish.

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas
ive breed crickets b4 i went off to another state for 2 weeks and came back to one fat cricket:( ive also had a pacman frog get striped to bone in 2 days by crickets,also go bitten by one and it hurts(for a cricket)
lest with meal worms they dont turn into land piranhas......

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
OscarRobinson;3772689; said:
I tried super worms last year and got them to the beetle stage but never seemed to go anywhere from there. I used that Fluker's cricket quencher and they seemed to do fine with that as a water source and never cannibalized each other. They just never produced any larvae. The beetles however lived a very long time, until I got fed up with the whole thing and fed them to my fish.
It does take a few months to get everything going but after that it's easy and fun.
Did you put the flukers on your substrate? Wouldn't it mold.

nes999;3773130; said:
can you post some pictures when you have a chance please
I need a new battery for my camera but I'll take some camera pics soon.

Connor AND Liam;3773846; said:
You have inspired me to try breeding meal worms!! LOL
:headbang2:headbang2 Just remember patience is key. Keep us updated.

tiddlywinks;3773888; said:
ive breed crickets b4 i went off to another state for 2 weeks and came back to one fat cricket:( ive also had a pacman frog get striped to bone in 2 days by crickets,also go bitten by one and it hurts(for a cricket)
lest with meal worms they dont turn into land piranhas......
I've also heard weird things with any feeder insect.:screwy: It's always good to monitor the reptile or amphibian feeding.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
CRAPPY PICS!!!!!
First is their bin which is too small for them hence the cannbalism. :( Second is just s superworm. Third is their craft box, 1 curled in it the other died. It happens. and lastly is the "curled" one which will be an alien soon enough.

I'm going to put most of the superworms in the craft box so I can clear space out until I get a bigger superworm bin.

I tried breeding them nes before, but I couldn't make their medium right and it always got mold in like a week or less. So I stopped ages ago. Good luck though!

nes999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
IL
thanks im buying my media since for me it would only cost me 3 dollars more and the media i bought has phosben witch is anti mold. i didnt know what a super worm was until today i was buying a new test kit and they had some. good luck with ur superworms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store