Breeding project- Experimenting with convict varieties

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
Well davidefc, looks like you got your way. Too bad though, as I cannot see anyone who could answer my questions viewing the hybrid forum. :(

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
thepitclub;1780826; said:
Well davidefc, looks like you got your way. Too bad though, as I cannot see anyone who could answer my questions viewing the hybrid forum. :(
You'll need to start a new thread on this, don't talk any about mixing with the HRPs. I think the results of the breeding you have done so far can be valuable to others breeding convicts.

Once you do breed the cons and HRPs you can post those results in the Hybrid forum.

Personally I really see that this thread was completely derailed, more of a debate on whether or not the two fish are the same. There has yet to be a hybrid even introduced into this thread, only possiblity is that the OP was considering the mix:screwy:

BTW: since this thread deals with BREEDING of both CA cichlids and maybe hybrids. Maybe it would be better suited to go into the BREEDING subform?

fishfreak317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
flowerhorncraze.com
i have done such experiments several times in the past and continue to this day. the black variation is the dominate of all the rest. so basically if you cross in any other variation, the black striped version will show dominate. especially if you are using a black male. so getting all these different variation females won't matter to much, except if you linebreed the offspring back to a different father that is not black. when cross breeding variations and high-breeding species the same fundamental point is evident. the female will "add to" or "enhance" the fathers genes. however keep in mind that breeding say a black male to a pink female the offspring will have a hint of pink genes in them. this goes with all other variations as well. so to "pull" back out those genes or improve on the original fish quality, these hidden genes fish should be bred back to a pink or marble or platinum father.

well hope this helps a little. BTW in taking on this project you will NEED tons of sorting and tons of growout space. also in the long run your just gonna have decent looking convicts that basically no-one will want, even your LFS's. doing this will NOT make you any sort of money, and you'll end up with tanks overflowing with convicts. if you are doing this for you own gratification or pleasure then more power to ya.

klmt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
CT
insteresting:popcorn:

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
fishfreak317;1781344; said:
also in the long run your just gonna have decent looking convicts that basically no-one will want, even your LFS's. doing this will NOT make you any sort of money, and you'll end up with tanks overflowing with convicts. if you are doing this for you own gratification or pleasure then more power to ya.
Couldn't agree more. I hope you're just doing this for fun, and have a lot of space(or a hungry RTC:ROFL:) because everyone and his grandma's got some convicts he/she wants to sell.

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
Yes, it's just for us and we do have the space and tanks. Also pass them along for free, in case you missed that post. Hubbie and I are both gainfully employed and not looking to get rich off convicts, lol. I just have a soft spot for cons since they were my first cichlids. This is my hobby.
Is it always such a cynical bunch around here? :confused: I'm a grown up, with no interest in arguing and debating.
Just looking for input as requested in the original post.

Thank you fishfreak 317, that was quite helpful!

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
fishoverlivingspace;1782692; said:
Couldn't agree more. I hope you're just doing this for fun, and have a lot of space(or a hungry RTC:ROFL:) because everyone and his grandma's got some convicts he/she wants to sell.

Not all cons are created equal.....Selective breeding pays off:naughty: I have at least 10 right now that would sell for $20-$30:popcorn:

a days work 252.jpg

a days work 263.jpg

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
thepitclub;1783385; said:
Yes, it's just for us and we do have the space and tanks. Also pass them along for free, in case you missed that post. Hubbie and I are both gainfully employed and not looking to get rich off convicts, lol. I just have a soft spot for cons since they were my first cichlids. This is my hobby.
Is it always such a cynical bunch around here? :confused: I'm a grown up, with no interest in arguing and debating.
Just looking for input as requested in the original post.

Thank you fishfreak 317, that was quite helpful!
Please don't take what I said as hard criticism or straight a**hole-ness. I was just makin' sure, and agreeing with what fishfreak17 had to say. Remember a couple days ago, when I was backing you up?;) I totally see where you're coming from with the convicts, as I have a similar soft-spot for discus, and would love to start breeding them in the next few years. I saw that you were willing to pass them along for free, and that's great. Just wanted to let you know that I try not to be one of those guys who has nothing but insults to put into these threads, but everyone can come off as such from time to time. I hope it's cool:D

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Eläköön;1783481; said:
ive just joined.
this forum tends to have a very superior to all others view.
try
cichlid-forum.com
Tropicalfishforums.com
or
Akvaforum.no

people tend to be more helpfull there
There are many members here that are very helpful and don't give an attitude at all. I hope you don't let one bad experience with a member here ruin your overall MFK experience. This is a great site to share helpful information with very knowledgeable fish keepers.

dominicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Austin(coolerthanwhereyoulive),Tx
Ive ben to cichlid-forum and they are no better. And do you think that insulting our forum helps make your point? Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store