Breeding

iwiied

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
denver,co
i believe him about 1000s . i ordered 20 myself, and know that many bought 10-20, some member on here bought 100, and those are only the ones whose post i came accross.
my estimate is each vendor on here had in stock . 500-1000 of these guys, and that's only on this site. counting all the vendors in the US and world wide, why woulnd't there be 1000s of them?

Ade;3856453; said:
I agree with nomad/ funwow... no evidence has ever been shown or made available for breeding.
But, like some members say, can all these tiny tigers really be wild caught?

Let's see some pics of these tiny tiny ntts then.

Fruitloop.... Bold statement..."1000's of baby IT's flooding Market world wide..."
where d'you get that info / qty from? A few LFS have some in US, and some members ordering private, but that's all....

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Right, not sure what the first picture is, Indo or NTT?
These fishes are in little bags being sold on the side walk outside the market.
The second fish is an Indo, same place.
As I wrote earlier the shops inside the market had hundreds, all the same size as these in the pictures.
I just don't see how so many fish can be pulled out of rivers but be rare at the same time.
Like I said I’m not trying to persuade anyone of anything. If you want more evidence so you can make your own mind up, come and see.
I believe they're farm bred.

Photo0025.jpg

Photo0026.jpg

Photo0027.jpg

Photo0028.jpg

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Just to add, the woman seen in the first picture had as many bags with bigger NTTs in, she told me "natural" for the NTTs but "farm" for the little ones.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
iwiied;3859067; said:
i believe him about 1000s . i ordered 20 myself, and know that many bought 10-20, some member on here bought 100, and those are only the ones whose post i came accross.
my estimate is each vendor on here had in stock . 500-1000 of these guys, and that's only on this site. counting all the vendors in the US and world wide, why woulnd't there be 1000s of them?

Did the vendors confirm their stock numbers to you?

As u mentioned, its your "estimate"... whats's this based on?. To say 1000's is just wild. Whats that mean... 10K, 20K, 5K.....

anyhow, i DO AGREE, that there definately is a noticible increase in the number of small dats on sale. doesnt mean there farmbred...

nice to see pics from that market in thailand, classic chassis;)

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
With the shop owners responses and the number of IT's going around Id say farmed as well. There are 1000's of IT's going around. Look at the classifieds....Multiple vendors/shops selling tiny IT's for as low as $3. Even I have 20:)

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
Ade;3859167; said:
Did the vendors confirm their stock numbers to you?

As u mentioned, its your "estimate"... whats's this based on?. To say 1000's is just wild. Whats that mean... 10K, 20K, 5K.....

anyhow, i DO AGREE, that there definately is a noticible increase in the number of small dats on sale. doesnt mean there farmbred...

nice to see pics from that market in thailand, classic chassis;)

I've got no proof and we certainly won't know for certain what is the total number of little tigers being offered for sale in the entire world at any given time. But based on posts here at mfk alone, we can already see that lots of people are buying these little guys by the dozen and I'm assuming there are a lot more people who buy these little tigers who do not post about it on the internet. I even read one post where this Indonesian guy had 600 little Indos that he accidentally killed!
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295444&highlight=indos&page=2
Lots of these little Indos are for sale especially in Asia, Add them all up and I'd say 5k would be a very conservative estimate. That's a lot of wild caught Indos. Again, I do not have any proof of this and am just analyzing the situation :D

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
just because they are small doesn't mean they are captive bred

if they are fishing them at such a small size this is very bad for the wild population

the same happened with ST they started fishing them at a very small size after the good size ones had all gone

the fishermen must be getting desperate to fill demand by fishing very Small NTT

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
So there is no proof of captive breeding....

Which means all this bulk buying of tiny tigers is seriously contributing to the demise of the tiger population in the wild...... Not cool.

Must admit though, I wanted to order a load, but stopped myself.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Ade;3859338; said:
So there is no proof of captive breeding....

Which means all this bulk buying of tiny tigers is seriously contributing to the demise of the tiger population in the wild...... Not cool.

Must admit though, I wanted to order a load, but stopped myself.
Let's use your words a bit. There is no proof that these datnoids are wild caught either!

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store